Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions small pointed poops

sherri86

Cavy Slave
one of my bonded pair of male pigs has started expelling smaller pointed at one end poops. Should I be concerned? They are eating well and drinking and I checked their weight and the have gained a little since last weighing. I think I remember a tread on something similar but can't find it .

please advise if you have any suggestions

Thanks
Sherri

Attachments

weird shaped poop.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's nothing to worry about, but exactly what are you feeding them? Especially, what veggies and how many of each?

sherri86

Cavy Slave
I feed all my herd fresh veggies 2 times a day. Once in morning and once in the evening. they get parsley, (reg or Italian or both) cilantro (most of the time) romaine leaves and kale, and when I can find fresh dandelion greens they get those instead of the parsley . I tried red and green leaf and it was mostly left in the cages. they also get cherry tomatoes and baby carrot , 3-4 times a week.. piece of apple or a grape or slice of clementine . I probably give about 5 springs each of parsley/cilantro/dandelion for each pig, split one kale leaf (on the stem) between two pigs and 1-2 romaine leaves for 2 pigs depending on the size of the leaf. every once in a while a piece of banana or cucumber. is that too much?

Thanks for the help..

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd cut back on the greens. Pointed poops area sign than the poop is too soft, and you're giving quite a lot of greens to them.

Cilantro and romaine can cause excess calcium excretion in some pigs, so watch for white spots where the urine has dried. If you find a lot of them, you may need to switch to red or green leaf lettuce. They'll eventually eat it.

Kale is too high in calcium to be fed daily -- should only be a small bit once or twice a week. Parsley is very high in calcium, and should not be given regularly to adult pigs.

sherri86

Cavy Slave
sorry I did not thank you sooner, I have been ill. I am slowly changing their diet, there usually is several white spots where they pee. Thanks for the info :)
I'd cut back on the greens. Pointed poops area sign than the poop is too soft, and you're giving quite a lot of greens to them.

Cilantro and romaine can cause excess calcium excretion in some pigs, so watch for white spots where the urine has dried. If you find a lot of them, you may need to switch to red or green leaf lettuce. They'll eventually eat it.

Kale is too high in calcium to be fed daily -- should only be a small bit once or twice a week. Parsley is very high in calcium, and should not be given regularly to adult pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.