Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

URI/Upper Respiratory Infection Still Sneezing After 10 Days of Bactrim

himedere

Cavy Slave
I took my male, around 3 month old, guinea pig to the vet about three weeks ago because he was sneezing so much and exotic vet prescribed him bactrim twice a day for ten days. After four days of being on it, he seemed to be getting worse so I took him back in the checked his lungs and everything seemed to be fine. December 26th was the last day he got his antibiotics and it's been around a week now and he is still has wet sneezes (by that I mean when he sneezes liquid sprays a little bit). He is still eating and has an impeccable appetite, drinks normally, and is a HIGHLY energetic guinea pig. He constantly popcorns and runs all about. When I went to see the vet the second time he said he didn't want to give him baytril because he was worried about his bones and he told me that it could just be a virus and there is nothing they could do about that and if it was it would have to just run its course, like a common cold.

Should I still be worried ?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd be very watchful. But if he's eating normally, and if you're weighing him daily (early morning, before breakfast) and he's not losing weight, and is normally active, I'd just observe. If he gets worse, you can always go back and ask for doxycyline, or for a nebulized antibiotic.

himedere

Cavy Slave
I'd be very watchful. But if he's eating normally, and if you're weighing him daily (early morning, before breakfast) and he's not losing weight, and is normally active, I'd just observe. If he gets worse, you can always go back and ask for doxycyline, or for a nebulized antibiotic.

Thank you for your advice, it's always helpful ! He is still eating, drinking, and very active. He was pretty underweight when I first got him, but he is actually gaining weight since then and is at a healthy weight ! I know it's rare, but could it possibly be allergies? There is some dust from the carefresh bedding

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
I have an allergy pig and use Carefresh, and the vet should be able to tell you the difference after listening with a stethoscope- a URI causes noise deep in the lungs, but allergies will just cause congestion in the nose area. (If your vet didn't hear anything in the lungs but still prescribed antibiotics, it's probably because URIs are very common and dangerous in baby pigs and it's better safe than sorry.)

Edit: Forgot to mention that if it is allergies/reaction to dust, an air purifier will help a lot. It's good for you, too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.