Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Boar Herd Tips and Tricks Please!

PimpRonald

Cavy Gazer
So I have a very happy bonded pair of males, Harry and Ron. They're both about 5 years old now, and they don't argue much, only been in one fight when they got stuck in close quarters.

Long story short, my dog died and I went out and impulsively bought a third male guinea pig. His name's Albus and he's about 2, had a history of being a father, really cute and sweet to me but once I got him around Ron and Harry, not so much. He seems determined to be the alpha pig, and Harry and Ron are not very happy about it!

I've tried bathing, neutral territory, etc. They're currently separated, but they can see and talk to each other. Lots of chattering! I plan on completely cleaning the entire cage, rearranging it, etc. But I'd really like to have these three get along! I feel like I was spoiled with how Harry and Ron got along when I introduced them. Now I have no idea what I've gotten myself into.

Experienced boar owners, especially herds of 3 or more, any tips? Something other than the typical bathing, neutral territory stuff. Something magical!

We never recommend that anyone try to add a third boar to an established pair. You'd do far better to either rehome him, or get another pig and have two cages of boars. Some people can make it work with some pigs, but it fails far more often than it succeeds.

That said, how big is your cage? Boars need a LOT of room, or you'll have constant aggression.

Here's how to go about introducing pigs: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

My cage is 2x4 cubes with a 1x2 kitchen upstairs

It's not nearly large enough for three boars. Three boars need a 2x5 at a minimum, and bigger is better. You need to get at least one of those pigs out of the cage, but you should also be prepared for the fact that the original two may not get along with each other any more. Trying to add a third, especially to a too-small cage, can split the bond that the original pair had.

My cage is 2x4 cubes with a 1x2 kitchen upstairs

A 2x4 is kind of small for boars, I know I had 4. I had 4 in a 3x5 and a 3x6 and ended up splitting them up in pairs into a 3x3s. Your best bet is two have two cages and get another boar youngster/baby to go with the new one or rehome him. At the most i could get the 4 boars to live together was 2 months, I tried twice months apart and the very less dominate boar was picked on really bad by both young guys. Two of the boars were 4 1/2, a bonded pair. the young guys were bonded. With the last time together the dominate bonded with one old man, so did the other young guy but the younger guy wanted to be dominate now too. so the dom beat up his mate and him all the time, the old man was losing weight fast. I had to split them up.

T-T when you mentioned that having Albus could split up Harry and Ron, I knew I'd made a mistake and had to take him back to where I got him. Learned the lesson of no-more-than-two-boars the hard way I guess. Maybe someday in the distant future I'll have a herd of females or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.