Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Crusty Eyes Crusty Eye: URI or Injury

PiggyMamaInNC

Cavy Slave
Hi. Gracie seems to have a crusty eye out of the blue. She was ok this morning; and tonight, her eye is crusty, and the eyeball seems opaque. It may also be a little swollen, too. Crusties def yellow-ish.

What do you think? Beginnings of a URI? Or eye injury? She is eating/drinking normal, and otherwise acting ok. I am planning to call our vet in the AM and see if she can be seen by our exotic tomorrow after school. (I am a teacher.)

Here is a pic of her eye:
Crusty Eye: URI or Injury

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm pretty quick to refer eye problems to a vet. They're often painful, and there's not a whole lot that an owner can do for them.

In your case, I'd take a damp warm soft cloth and wipe the outside of the eye gently, being careful not to get any of that crusty stuff in the eye. It's a possibility that a blocked tear duct can cause that, so you can very very very gently massage just under the eye, close to the bridge of the nose. Sometimes that will help.

Gracie has an appointment at 3:45 this afternoon. I am going to take Lulu along, too, just in case it is a URI. Gracie's eye looks a teeny bit better this AM. I took the swab to it again, and massaged it a little, too. She is still eating well. :)

Gracie has a surface level scratch on her cornea. Poor girly. She squeaked like I have never heard her squeak before when the Dr checked her. :-( But he was great. And Gracie is now on a piggy safe antibiotic drop. Very thankful we have 2+ exotic vets in our practice., and they are all awesome. :)

Thank goodness you were able to get her to the vet so quickly, poor little girl must have been so sore. Hope she recovers fully super fast!

Her eye is already looking a LOT better tonight. :)

Great news!! (( Gracie )) :eek:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.