Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning How often do you spot clean your cage?

speedskating

Cavy Slave
I spot clean my guinea pigs cage twice a day. How often do you guys do yours?:D

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I no longer use fleece, so once a week when I clean the cage.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Daily, usually around 7pm

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
I sweep up / change what needs to be changed in the kitchen areas once a day. I try to do it first thing when I get home from dropping off my daughter.

However, I missed last Friday (I had a migraine and just simply couldnt, my 5 year old was in rare form and husband worked 18 hours plus an hour commute each way, please don't hate). Can anyone explain to me how 2 days of mess was not twice the mess, but mess squared? Oy! That was enough to ensure I don't do that again! The full cage NEEDED the full scrub down and change out that happens each Saturday. o_O

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ficklewinds

Cavy Slave
Once a day after work. I remove everything from the cage, vacuum the poo, put the piggies in the bathroom for floor time for an hour or so while I replace everything and cook dinner. Then they go out to the mancave to watch tv with my husband and me, either in our laps or in their second cage. Then I bring them back to their cage when I go to bed. I put in a fresh helping of veggies and pellets if they need them, make sure their hay is topped off, and water is full. They'll run around like crazy in the clean cage and love it. In the morning before I leave for work, I make sure they have food and water and plenty of hay plus a serving of spring mix. Saturday or Sunday I wash all the fleece and the fleecy toys and put in a new fleece pattern. What sounds like a lot of work takes 15 min tops most days.
@PiggyGrandma15 - yeah, I'm with you. I missed one day because I didn't come home straight from work and boy, those piggies like to poo!

Kailyn

Cavy Gazer
Once a week until we use the rest of our bedding and switch to fleece.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I sweep up / change what needs to be changed in the kitchen areas once a day. I try to do it first thing when I get home from dropping off my daughter.

However, I missed last Friday (I had a migraine and just simply couldnt, my 5 year old was in rare form and husband worked 18 hours plus an hour commute each way, please don't hate). Can anyone explain to me how 2 days of mess was not twice the mess, but mess squared? Oy! That was enough to ensure I don't do that again! The full cage NEEDED the full scrub down and change out that happens each Saturday. o_O

Ouch for you and you husband. Very few are lucky enough to work close to home so I figure 45-60 minutes is a normal commute, I hope he gets on a commuter tram at least to nap.

PiggyGrandma15

Cavy Slave
Nope.

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Twice a day, which is super easy cause they do 90% of their business in the kitchen area :cool:

Arkin

Cavy Slave
Throughout the day, so sometimes 2x a day, sometimes more. I have a dustbuster and it takes less than a minute to get all the poops. They keep their hay in their pan - before I got the pan, the hay was by far the messiest thing.
My 6 year old replaces their water daily. My 4 year old checks and fills pellets daily.
They get veggies in the morning and then at night.
I replace their pigloo pads every day or every other day, and the cage liners get replaced every 3 days. Once i had fitted cage liners, everything became ridiculously easy.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
I spot clean my pigs cage once in the morning, once when I get home from work and right before I go to sleep. If I'm home all day I will spot clean more often, whenever I feel like it/its building up

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
That's with only one pig in a 2x6 cage, by the way lol. I feel like they poop soooo much, but I also like to keep it as clean as possible. I did the same when I had two pigs.

speedskating

Cavy Slave
Throughout the day, so sometimes 2x a day, sometimes more. I have a dustbuster and it takes less than a minute to get all the poops. They keep their hay in their pan - before I got the pan, the hay was by far the messiest thing.My 6 year old replaces their water daily. My 4 year old checks and fills pellets daily. They get veggies in the morning and then at night. I replace their pigloo pads every day or every other day, and the cage liners get replaced every 3 days. Once i had fitted cage liners, everything became ridiculously easy.
It's nice how you let your children help with the piggies responsobilities.

Arkin

Cavy Slave
they love it :) They also help with cleaning the cage, but since I clean it so often during the day and we have a trough to catch the hay, there isn't so much for them to do with that now

Keiralh

Cavy Slave
Twice a day, sometimes more. Once in the morning and again right before I go to bed.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Once a day. I'm a major germaphobe, and I wouldn't be able to stand cleaning the cage and then having to go about my day without showering.

I clean right before I go get a shower each night. When I only had two pigs, I could get away with spot cleaning every other day, but since the addition of Bailey I've had to step up my game. She's a freakin' poop machine! She absolutely pigs out on hay (pun intended), probably since she's never had it before in her life and she enjoys it so much now that she does.

dyannew5

Cavy Gazer
dyanne5
i.am picky too. GIUNIEA PIGS CAN BE TRAINED TO USE THE LITTER!!! C.C.PUFF, HAS BEEN USING IT.SINCE ABOUT.6 weeks old. NOW.THE NEW GUY IS 3 months old, I have to watch him, he knows from.watching. NOW HE IS ACCOUNTABLE. HAS HIS OWN PAN. HAVE TO PUT LITTLE PANS IIN EACH CORNER TO SEE WHERE HE GOES, (on internnet) then put a regular pan for.their size in. It does work. I trained my pet rat before them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

lizpow

Cavy Slave
I spot clean every morning after they get breakfast and change the fleece if I find and soiled spots

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

dyannew5

Cavy Gazer
I spot clean my guinea pigs cage twice a day. How often do you guys do yours?:D
C.C.PUFF is litter trained, and then we just got Cinnamon on the.4th. He has a litter box, doing better, now.that we know for.sure hes a boy! we are going to build a bigger cage. We have 2 cages together,,,, and my concussion flared again...so i havent had time to follow Cinnamon, n see where he goes more, but i usually emptu C.C.PUFF'S litter every eve. That helps so much. Cinamon , well i pick up his droppings n put them in his litter pan. Sooner or later it will click. :) hope it will for yours....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.