Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hello everyone!!

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm Juliet , mom to "PB" our guinea pig we have had since October last year. I joined the forum bc I am looking into getting him a big cage instead of the one from petsmart we currently use. I am looking at one that is 2x4. Is that too big or just right? I am wondering about the bedding for that-do you continue to use the paper bedding or should I use the fleece or whatever that is on the bottom of most of them :) also where do they use the bathroom in one that large and how is the cleaning done and how often is good? Thanks so much!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Welcome!

A 2x4 is fine for one pig, but pigs should really be kept in pairs (at least). They're herd animals, and they do MUCH better and are much happier and more active with a buddy of their own kind. Two males would need at least a 2x5, if not 2x6.

There are several kinds of bedding -- look at the forums on here, and you'll find many stickies at the top that will give you more information. Read those, and then post back here if you've got specific questions.

If you're lucky, your guinea pig(s) will pick an area or two in the cage where they potty most often, and you can clean those areas more frequently. If you're not lucky, they'll go everywhere. Pigs can't be potty trained. The best you can hope for is that you can train yourself by putting potties in the area where you can catch the output (usually where they eat and sleep).

Cleaning depends on what you use, how many pigs you have, and how big your cage is. Smaller cages require much more frequent cleaning than large cages.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
There's no such thing as a cage being "too big" so that would be a good size. Most people use fleece, because other types of bedding can be expensive. Piggies will go to the bathroom, wherever they want. They will usually "go" near their food and in any hidey houses the most thoigh. You'll probably want to spot clean every day, and do a full clean out every 4-7 days.

One more thing, you may want to look at getting a friend for your piggy. Guinea pigs are social creatures and they thrive when they have other pigs with them. (although, you'll need a bigger cage if you get a second pig)

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
There's no such thing as a cage being "too big" so that would be a good size. Most people use fleece, because other types of bedding can be expensive. Piggies will go to the bathroom, wherever they want. They will usually "go" near their food and in any hidey houses the most thoigh. You'll probably want to spot clean every day, and do a full clean out every 4-7 days.

One more thing, you may want to look at getting a friend for your piggy. Guinea pigs are social creatures and they thrive when they have other pigs with them. (although, you'll need a bigger cage if you get a second pig)

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply. I was just reading about getting a second one. The lady from the pet store told us that bc ours is already about 8mo old that if we got one now he would fight it bc he's older...is that the case? Do you have any tips for adding a 2nd?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The absolute LAST person you should take advice from about guinea pigs is a sales person at a pet store.

Age has much less to do with guinea pigs getting along than personality. Puberty can make it a little harder, but pigs of any age can get along if properly introduced and if the cage is large enough.

Many rescues will let you bring your current pig in for a "meet and greet" to see if they'll get along. If you'll tell us where you are (city/state, not your actual address), we'll see if we can help you find another pig. Please don't buy one from a pet store -- they have absolutely no training in matching pigs.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
We are in the Charlotte NC area. There definitely are some cute ones at the pet smart lol so I will have to resist them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Please do resist the ones at PetSmart. Pet store pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions. The sows are kept permanently pregnant until they're too old to breed, and then they're killed. They're shipping several pigs deep in big plastic bins, and many of them die. If you really want to see what it's like, see www.petsmartcruelty.com. Be warned, the images are very graphic. And Rainbow Exotics is still in business.

PBmommy

Cavy Slave
I did see a rescue in Asheville but they only rehome in pairs and I'm just wanting to get one more. Pets mart is where our current one came from.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Rescues won't let a person adopt a single pig that's going to be alone. But they will adopt to people who have wound up with one pig at home and who need a companion for that pig. Trust me. I've adopted that way more than once.

Just tell them you've already got one pig and need a buddy. They'll have (or soon will have) single pigs that need adoption. If you meet the adoption criteria, they'll let you have one pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.