Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Considering This Friend for Quinn

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
It's been a couple of month since Amy died, and I've been keeping an eye out for a suitable friend for Quinn. For some reason, it seems like all the suitable piggies I've seen for a while have been boys. Considering this cutie I just saw on Craigslist; two year old girl whose owners are moving. If we take the leap, her name will definitely be Miss Poogy because I've planned that for my next pig ever since seeing the Muppet Movie. I figure we can do a bath time bonding session if needed.

Considering This Friend for Quinn

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd say grab her before someone else does.

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Agreed, or is she's close enough see if a play date may be possible

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
She's pretty close so I'm waiting for a call back (person who responded to text says he has to check with his wife on a time to come see her). She's actually in the same general area where we got Quinn.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd just get her. You can almost always successfully introduce two sows.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
We're going to look at her tomorrow. I'm thinking along the lines of what @bpatters said. The "cage" is large (a kids' swimming pool in my devoted pet room), and I have multiple hideys left over from having Amy, so they shouldn't squabble over space. I figure in the worst case I can do the bath introduction. I think the poor girl has been alone for her life so far, so hopefully she'll be happy to have a friend now.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
She's gorgeous, I hope it all works out!

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Looks like she will need an urgent nail clipping, but good on you for hopefully giving her a good home

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
We're got the clippers (and Qwik Stop just in case) ready and waiting. We're heading over this afternoon; fingers crossed she'll be here tonight!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Quick update: Miss Poogy is home! Her former name was Princess; in her old home, they had two children and she was a birthday present for one of them. Thankfully she's had lots of veggies in her diet, and she looks like a healthy girl other than needing a nail trim. She was formerly from Petsmart, so we double checked her sex and she's definitely a girl. She and Quinn are getting along amazingly well already (we didn't quarantine her because she hasn't been around other pigs/animals for over a year). We were going to strip down the cage and start without any Quinn smells, but we did a preliminary intro just for the heck of it and they were pretty much like "meh." They did a tiny bit of "My nose goes higher than yours," and that was it. They shared a good meal of veggies, so hopefully all will continue to go well. Miss Poogy isn't too skittish, probably because she's used to being handled by kids. I suspect Quinn is happy to have a friend again, and Poogy hasn't had one for over a year so she's probably glad to be back with a buddy.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
She's adorable! I would still have quarantined her. It's not about being around other animals. It's about if she has any dormant illnesses that she could pass to your other pig. Of course, if they have already met, it's a moot point.

She does look well fed and healthy. So glad to know she got a good diet with her previous owners. We all know that's not always the case.

Congratulations on your new family member! Welcome Miss Poogy! I was curious about how you are pronouncing the name though. Is it a hard G like "Gum" or a soft G like "Giant"?

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Yikes, I didn't even think about dormant illnesses. She was originally a Petsmart piggy, so of course the poor girl originally came from a mill. They're together now, so I've got my fingers crossed. The name is pronounced with a hard G, as in "gum." If you ever see the Muppet Movie, you'll hear and it learn who Miss Poogy is. She starred in the Muppets tribute band "The Moopets" and is sort of the "evil" version of Miss Piggy, as seen in the photo. Thankfully my Poogy doesn't seem evil at all.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
And here she is...Miss Poogy at home with Quinn! They're been quite peaceful so far, so tomorrow Miss Poogy gets her badly-needed nail trim. She's even more of a veggie hound than Quinn, if such a thing is possible.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
They are both adorable! I'm glad that worked out well for you!

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
All is still going well, although Quinn gets offended when Poogy tries to play piggy train with her. I'm shocked at the easy transition, especially since Quinn and Amy were never best buddies. More like frenemies who liked having each other around but at a bit of a distance. Quinn and Poogy's relationship looks like it will be similar. Here I was expecting to have to strip down the whole cage and doing a buddy bath!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.