Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Introducing Maya to bonded pair, not going well!

Just gonna post an update, more than 24 hours after the initial introduction.
Everything seems to be going wonderfully! It was a rough start, and i was almost convinced Maya would have to return to the humane society, but there has been no all out brawling or blood or flying fur. Everyone seems pretty settled, and content, if a bit tired. Lots of sleepy piggies today. :)
Pansy has lunged at Maya a few times when she was irritating her, but otherwise everythings good. The chatterings pretty much stopped. Charlotte has reclaimed her position as top pig, and continues to rumblestrut circles around Maya. Right now they are all happily munching hay.

Maya seems a bit itchy, im wondering if its from the bath yesterday, i know if not all the shampoo comes off it can dry out their skin. Ill keep an eye on her. All three of them have a vet visit on the 22nd for checkups and to make sure Maya didnt bring anything home. I also noticed her ears have some crud in them, but too deep down for me to clean. Hopefully not ear mites.

Im tempted to run the lint roller over her, she sheds SOOO much! Lol.

So ill continue to watch over them, but im feeling much better about the whole situation. Lets hope my relief isnt short lived...
Next course of action, pull Maya out of her shyness with lots of bribes and cuddles. I think its safe to get attached now. :D

Mine all had a mite outbreak after their introduction. We're coming up on their third ivermectin treatment on Thursday.

Mine all had a mite outbreak after their introduction. We're coming up on their third ivermectin treatment on Thursday.

I was a little concerned about mites even before maya, since the girls were being extremely touchy and a bit itchy. Its possible maya has mites, i doubt she was checked for them.

Do some pigs drink more than others? Because maya drinks more in one day then ive ever seen the other two drink. Theyre not big drinkers anyway.

Yep, they do drink differently.

Okay, so the scratching I've noticed in Maya is really bugging me, there are no bald spots or sores but she scratches an awful lot. The other two scratch too but not as much. I was planning on running over to tractor supply, as I saw they carry the Durvet pour on ivermectin. Should I for sure treat, just in case? It won't harm them if they don't end up having mites, will it? Charlotte and Pansy are just so touchy and have fits every time I reach for them, and Maya is scratching a lot.

I'm also worried about URIs, because they sneeze a bit, though Pansy is sneezing more than the others, and I noticed some white snot today. They are all acting normal and eating normal though. I may just be overreacting, as my mother says. I'm just concerned because their vet visit isn't until the 22nd, as they couldn't get me in to see my preferred vet until then. She did tell me if I noticed any other signs of uri to call right away, though. That was last week. I just feel like if they did have URIs they would be showing more symptoms, like the green or yellow mucus and coughing. I'm hoping it's just the dusty hay.

Everyone's getting along great though. Just the chasing and mounting on charlottes behalf. They all like to run and spaz out with eachother in the early hours of the morning. :)

You can treat them for mites. The stress of the introductions may have caused an outbreak.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.