Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Flags Disgusting--Please flag

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
This ad is so disturbing. Please flag this guy.(broken link removed)

RestlessDreamer

Cavy Slave
Holy (expletives deleted), this is so bad...

Flagged, and emailed.

Told him about animal abuse laws and punishment(s), proper guinea pig care, and found a few shelters that he could turn them over to.

Hopefully, he's not stupid/greedy enough to keep this up...

The Cavy Lover

Cavy Slave
Disgusting! Flagged.

RestlessDreamer

Cavy Slave
Update - the "seller" has responded to my email, claiming that they bought the pigs from someone much worse.

According to them, they've never owned guinea pigs, and don't really know what to do.

I've given them some advice, and directed them towards this site.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I don't buy that. He lists a wholesale price, like he is selling socks or something.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't buy that. He lists a wholesale price, like he is selling socks or something.
I also emailed them. No, they sound legit. They said they were in really bad shape where they were and just wanted to get them out of there. They said they don't know anything about guinea pigs but love animals and aren't looking to make any money on them. They just hoped that someone who loves animals would take them and care for them. They were polite and thanked me for my concern. These are guinea pigs that really need a good home if someone in that area is looking for a guinea pig.

RestlessDreamer

Cavy Slave
Person is losing money on these guys. The "wholesale" price listed is what they spent per pig. They said (and I quote, typos included);

"Just a FYI - I bought these from someone (breeder) because I thought they were missed raised.I felt bad for them and bought everyone he had to take them away from him. I am loosing money on each 1 @ 2.50 just to rehome them .I paid 3 to 5 dollars ea."

Once you factor in the cost of food, the cage(s), and general care... yeah, this person is bleeding money trying to help animals they know next to nothing about.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Someone who is in contact needs to tell them to raise their prices. At 2 bucks a piece all these piggies are going to be is snake food.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Someone who is in contact needs to tell them to raise their prices. At 2 bucks a piece all these piggies are going to be is snake food.

I did tell them that.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Person is losing money on these guys. The "wholesale" price listed is what they spent per pig. They said (and I quote, typos included);

"Just a FYI - I bought these from someone (breeder) because I thought they were missed raised.I felt bad for them and bought everyone he had to take them away from him. I am loosing money on each 1 @ 2.50 just to rehome them .I paid 3 to 5 dollars ea."

Once you factor in the cost of food, the cage(s), and general care... yeah, this person is bleeding money trying to help animals they know next to nothing about.

I think they got more than they bargained for and really want to rehome them. Sometimes people jump in and try and do a good thing but are clueless. They aren't letting them loose or asking a high fee to make money on them. They explained they really know nothing about caring for them but wanted to rescue them from a much worse situation. If they were looking for a profit, they wouldn't be selling them at that price. This is the type of situation where someone who could take them in should.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I'm glad the situation isn't what it seemed, I just wish they had done a better job of explaining in the ad.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm glad the situation isn't what it seemed, I just wish they had done a better job of explaining in the ad.
This is the type of situation that could easily turn into a hoarding situation if they felt they were the only ones who could care for them. He/she admitted they don't know anything about guinea pigs and just want them to find a good home asap. I also told them that if they have males and females mixed, the females are probably pregnant but to still separate them by gender.

Tobias2189

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking about emailing him but he's 9 hours away one direction so I'm honestly not to sure what to do. I have space, I have enough cages but 9 hours is darn far. Any idea how bad his situation is? How many he's dealing with and if he happens to have any help? Maybe I could send some food or something. I'm a little worried that male/female pairings have already happened which is another reason I'm holding back, you could easily end up with dozens of babies.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm thinking about emailing him but he's 9 hours away one direction so I'm honestly not to sure what to do. I have space, I have enough cages but 9 hours is darn far. Any idea how bad his situation is? How many he's dealing with and if he happens to have any help? Maybe I could send some food or something. I'm a little worried that male/female pairings have already happened which is another reason I'm holding back, you could easily end up with dozens of babies.

I did mention that if he had males and females together, they probably were pregnant. Someone else sent him links to determine gender and he's hopeful they're separated but are probably pregnant by this time. 9 hours is really far unless there's someone who can do a piggy train in between. I did mention that he could contact a local rescue to see if they'd do a courtesy listing on Petfinder for him.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
I'm an hour and a half from him. I could help with a piggy train. I would offer to foster but with Duchess being sick, i just don't have the time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.