Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Two new males and a first time owner. Bullying :(

katkor03

Cavy Slave
Hi! So I just got these two males from a pet store (I know, I already tried adopting, but I live in a VERY small town without a drivers license and tried the only shelter already). I originally went in to see if I was allergic after having done months of research on taking care of the piggies and everything they'd need and ended up walking away with two. A fairly large male who had been there for a little over a year, and a more average sized one. They'd been cage mates for a few months and no fighting.

They gave me their largest cage for free and other discounted supplies. I am in the process of hand-sewing all the bedding for a 2X4 with a 1X2 loft. Trying my fastest to move them to the bigger cage. I'm also waiting for a decent size play pen in the mail tomorrow evening.

The he larger of the two, Reggie, constantly tries to mount the smaller or makes this growling like noise when he wants to enter the hidey while the little one is inside. He also will chase him around he cage occasionally. No nipping, no biting, no showing of teeth or rumblestrutting. No teeth chattering. Reggie doesn't keep the little one from eating or drinking. Just the growling sound and trying to mount the little one.

What can I do if this doesn't resolve or gets worse when I move them to the bigger cage? I have two hideys, one for each. I'm working on making cozy cups and little tunnels too.

Ive been hand feeding them as well, and trying to get them used to being held. Any other tips on bonding as well?

i will try to post a few pictures!

lissie

Cavy Slave
I'd move them to the larger cage sooner than later. A 2x4 might be too small for 2 males. Depends on how yours are, just keep an eye on them. I wouldn't put in the 1x2 loft. Some will fight in the small loft, and block each other from getting on the ramp.

Can you use disposable bedding while you're still sewing the cage liner? By the way, fleece can be used without sewing. Just line each layer into the cage.

All hideys need to have multiple doors so they can't trap each other. Best thing you can use is a fleece forest. They can run through and hide under.

You'll also need 2 of everything, 2 water bottles, 2 pellet dishes, 2 hay piles (or racks). Place them at separate end of the cage, so they can eat without fighting.

Edit to add:
Fleece forest:
(broken link removed)

Please make sure both of them are male. Pet stores are notorious for mis-sexing.
https://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html
https://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

Last edited:

katkor03

Cavy Slave
Surprisingly, the food isn't the issue. They both love eating together /: It's just the big one messing with the little one every 30 minutes or so.
I am going to put the little forest in though :) Unfortunately, I only have enough fleece for bedding and have already cut them up. I was going to sew the last two today after I get home.

Thank you! If they end up getting worse, the first thing I'll do is get them their own set of food/drink things.

clarkkatarina

Cavy Slave
I think the behavior you're mentioning sounds normal, for the most part. I would agree that perhaps a cage larger than even a 2x4 would be best because, when it comes to males, the more room the better. If you're unable to get something the pigs can run through or have multiple exits, I suggest until you can to maybe get two hideys. I know my female pigs fought a lot about their hidey until I got a second one. The dominant pig chose the one she preferred, then the subordinate pig took the last one and everyone was happy again. 😋

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Their behavior might be because they are in a new cage. I've noticed with my two females that any time that I've moved to a new cage or even do a full cage clean and rearrange things, they feel the need to re-establish dominance. They rumble and rumble! So get your pigs in their new cage, as big as you can make it, and as quick as you can! Don't worry too much about all the cuddly things, you can add those later. You can use cardboard boxes to make quick and easy hideys (cut the flaps off, flip it upside down, and cut at least two doorways).

But all that being said, my girls do still rumble at each other fairly regularly. Snickers is just super dominant and Lucy doesn't mind being subordinate, but does not appreciate Snickers being so bossy about it! So you'll have to see how your piggies personalities turn out!

katkor03

Cavy Slave
You guys were right! I also found that the larger, Reggie, makes the rumbling noises regardless of whether or not the little one is even in there. It seems now like the two of them play often and everything seems ok. The little one likes to copy the larger one all the time XD

I just feel really bad for Reggie because he's never really been held and doesn't seem to like it. I was trying to start doing lap time, but they always run away. Just now Reggie started teeth chattering at me and I don't know what to do. I know he doesn't really like to be held, but that's a little impractical for me to let him be on his own from now on isn't it? I have to trim his nails and check him out and weigh him right?

Any tips on lap time or floor time? Getting them out of their cage?

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
Maybe try holding him wrapped in a towel or cozy or something. This could make him feel safer and more relaxed. Also, feed him tasty veg like capsicum/bell pepper while he is on your lap and he will associate lap time with food. It was just recently that my Parsley began to really enjoy lap time with me (I’ve had her since February this year) instead of tolerating it; she now snuggles her head into my shirt and sometimes tries to crawl up to my shoulder. My other two don’t seem to be quite as relaxed yet though.

katkor03

Cavy Slave
That's such a great idea! I've been trying to order a little cozy for them. I did sew them a little fleece snuggle, but no matter how wide I open it, they seem to see it as a pillow and lay on it instead XD Especially Reggie. However, I once he's out, I can't seem to get him to eat anything on my lap. I think he's just so frightened. I'm trying to let him be for a few days and try again.

Thank you!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
If you have 2 fleece snuggles you can trap them between the two and they will run into one of them, I resort to that when one of mine is refusing to walk in (usually they will go on their own because I give them a treat (veggie) right after so they know if they cooperate they will get a treat but sometimes one or both decide to be stubborn). Also, I sometimes feed mine their veggie while they are in their snuggle on my lap. The shy one will eventually come out to explore (I sometimes lure her out of the snuggle with the veggie if it's one she really likes), the not shy one is all over me looking for the veggie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.