Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Impaction in sow?!

papuasqueakers

Cavy Slave
Hi all, this is my first post sorry if it's not where it should be :(

I have 2 guineas one was purchased from the pet store and the other was adopted. My adopted one (squeakers) is about 2.5 years old. Tonight I noticed that she was spraying blood from her behind :(. I had ran out of timothy hay about 2 days ago and never got any until today (stores are closed where I live). She has been eating normal, which is a lot i must add, and drinking as normal. I feed them their salad every night around 7pm which is a leaf of romaine, a kale leaf, small chunk of carrot, parsley and some pear. it is usually similar every day.

Papua my other guinea was nudging squeakers behind quite a bit while they were having free time in their pen while i clean the cage when i noticed the little bit of blood. Her poops are quite a bit smaller than normal and she looked like she was straining to get it out when there was the bloody fluid spraying. Other than this issue she seems to be acting normal and eating as normal.

I thought it was maybe an impaction because i didn't have any hay for them for a couple days so I used some mineral oil and q-tips to try and clean her out a bit but there wasn't much. (I am hoping thats okay because I only saw videos for doing that to boars). since then (about a half hour) she seems to have pooped a normal amount for her and there is only a small amount of blood compared to before. poops are still smaller. I currently have squeakers and papua separated to keep and eye on her for a little while.

Anybody have an suggestions? We don't have an exotic vet around us anywhere but I do plan on giving our dogs vet a call tomorrow morning first thing!

I forgot to add that these are my first guineas I've had so I may be worrying too much

pinky

Cavy Slave
My guess it's a urinary tract infection or bladder stones. Either way, you need to find a competent exotic vet to have her looked at. Your other guinea pig is at risk of developing a UTI from the bacteria and Squeaker is probably in pain. I'd call your vet and ask for their help finding a vet that treats guinea pigs.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ditto @pinky. Impaction in sows is VERY rare, but bladder stones causing pain and bleeding when they poop is not. If you get her to a good exotic vet, they may be able to work the stone out, as it's obviously close to, and possibly in, the urethra.

You're not worrying too much -- she needs vet care ASAP. If the stone totally blocks the urethra, she'll die a painful death. But a dog and cat vet will probably be a waste of your time and money, and may even be dangerous for your pig. If you'll post the name of the city closest to you, we might be able to help you find a vet.

papuasqueakers

Cavy Slave
Hi all update. Couldn't get into the vet today (not an exotic vet, the closest one is 4 hours away from me!) but i've been watching squeakers and no blood or anything today and normal poop! there were a few on the smaller side so i think she may of had a little blockage but seems to be her normal self and the poops like i said are normal! I think it was the hay being gone for a few days... still going to go to the vet when we can get in though for sure! Just going to spend more time keeping a close eye. I also called the spca where she was adopted from and they informed me that i should still see the vet even if everything seems cleared up but they said if its normal today not to worry as much as i was (I was very upset crying last night)

pinky

Cavy Slave
Hi all update. Couldn't get into the vet today (not an exotic vet, the closest one is 4 hours away from me!) but i've been watching squeakers and no blood or anything today and normal poop! there were a few on the smaller side so i think she may of had a little blockage but seems to be her normal self and the poops like i said are normal! I think it was the hay being gone for a few days... still going to go to the vet when we can get in though for sure! Just going to spend more time keeping a close eye. I also called the spca where she was adopted from and they informed me that i should still see the vet even if everything seems cleared up but they said if its normal today not to worry as much as i was (I was very upset crying last night)
I'd add a piece of white fleece or cloth under their pigloos or wherever they sleep so you can check her urine. Sometimes you can't see the blood unless they go on something white.

papuasqueakers

Cavy Slave
I put the white fleece I have for them down! :) so it was easy to see this morning, also had her out on a white sheet in her pen when I was keeping an eye on just her and her pooping habits!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.