Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Still sick after a few courses of antibiotics and vets don't know what to do

Furnacefairy

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I know I'm new to this forum but I'm really at a loss for what to do so I figured posting here can't hurt anything.
So anyway, my guinea pig (named Pig lol) has been pretty sick for about the past 10 months that i've had him. Throughout this whole time I've taken him to a vet who put him on Bactrim for 2 weeks, which seemed to help for the most part but the symptoms came back fairly soon after the course was done. Because it seemed to help we tried having him on them for longer but it didn't help like at all.
I should mention that his symptoms were initially just congestion and sneezing. He's recently started to cough a lot more and his breathing is very heavy. He hasn't stopped eating or anything, hasn't really had any other symptoms besides those.
When the second round didn't work I took him back and she was pretty stumped and thought it might be allergies so she suggested some children's medicine for allergies (If i remember correctly it was Benadryl) I haven't really tried that yet because I gave him a couple doses and it didn't help, if anything made it worse, but I might have to try it again if all else fails.
I then took him to another vet, who never did guinea pigs but did his research, and he put him on a round of Baytril for 2 weeks. He said his heart sounded healthy it was just his lungs. The baytril did nothing though. He asked how he was doing, but he basically said he didn't know what else to do with him since it didn't work.
So here we are. Pig's a little trucker but his coughs are way more frequent which is very worrying obviously. I would take him to yet another vet, but unfortunately I live in a tiny town in Iowa so the closest competent vet from what I can find (basically the Guinea Lynx website) is about 21/2 -3 hours away and I don't have that kind of money or time to get him there. I doubt my car would even make the drive up there honestly lol.
I've changed his bedding to fleece to see if that could help but it was just way more work and didn't help anyway, so he's back to the Oxbow paper bedding stuff. I've been just using timothy hay, but I was thinking of changing it to orchard grass or oat hay depending on what i can find and see if that helps any? Typical food, I give him the veggies that I can which normally consists of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and kale.
Oh and, I have been giving him vitamin c hay tab things, he never used to want to eat them but now he does for some reason. I'm almost out though so I'll have to get them whenever I can get new hay.

If theres any questions please ask, I just really want him to be healthy and it's seriously overwhelming having practically no clue what to do...
His symptoms seemed to lighten up whenever I would take him out of his cage but recently it doesn't seem to help as much. There were several minutes when he was on the baytril that his breathing was insanely clear out of seemingly no where and it stayed for a while, but then I brought up hay because I knew he'd be wanting some and he started getting stuffy again as soon as he started eating it! It could be a coincidence I suppose, but thats the main reason why I think it might be the hay.
He is, in fact, a petsmart pig. The only reason I didn't adopt one was because he was a Christmas present that my parents got for me on a whim, and I had never had a guinea pig so I didn't realize until it was way too late.
I'll try and shake as much dust out the hay I give him for now until I can get some better hay. I would get some sooner but again, small town Iowa, the closest pet store is a bit over and hour.

I don't know what to do and I'm afraid he's just going to keep getting worse and I won't be able to do anything about it! So I very much so appreciate any help you can offer me! Thanks for reading all this

Last edited:

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
I recently found this site (https://www.merckvetmanual.com/peth...gs/disorders_and_diseases_of_guinea_pigs.html) that lists off a lot of different illnesses that guinea pigs can get. There is an entire section that is devoted to the respiratory system. What you are describing kind of sounds like it could be bordetella.

If you think that it might be the hay instead of an illness, you could always try bluegrass, orchard, or other long grass hay instead of timothy hay. I would suggest getting a small bag of the new hay in case your piggy doesn't like it. Also, you don't want to give alfalfa hay if they are over a year due to the calcium content (can be given as a very occasional treat).

I would also like to add a caution on your veggies. Cauliflower and broccoli can cause gas which can lead to bloat. Kale is high in calcium so you don't want to give it to them daily. This thread might help you come up with other veggie ideas for your piggy: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List.

Good luck!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to find an exotic vet to treat your guinea pigs. Dog and cat vets get little or no education and training in the care of exotics.

The vet list at GL is by no means comprehensive -- it's just a list of vets that GL users have liked. There are a number of exotic vets in Iowa: https://exoticpets.about.com/od/healthandsafetyissues/a/Iowa-Exotics-Vet.htm

It sounds as though whatever organism is causing the problem is resistant to Baytril. The vet could try doxycycline, or a combination of Baytril and doxy, or a stronger antibiotic, like gentamycin, in a nebulizer.

Furnacefairy

Cavy Gazer
I recently found this site (https://www.merckvetmanual.com/peth...gs/disorders_and_diseases_of_guinea_pigs.html) that lists off a lot of different illnesses that guinea pigs can get. There is an entire section that is devoted to the respiratory system. What you are describing kind of sounds like it could be bordetella.

If you think that it might be the hay instead of an illness, you could always try bluegrass, orchard, or other long grass hay instead of timothy hay. I would suggest getting a small bag of the new hay in case your piggy doesn't like it. Also, you don't want to give alfalfa hay if they are over a year due to the calcium content (can be given as a very occasional treat).

I would also like to add a caution on your veggies. Cauliflower and broccoli can cause gas which can lead to bloat. Kale is high in calcium so you don't want to give it to them daily. This thread might help you come up with other veggie ideas for your piggy: https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the info and links I will definitely look into it :) Oh and yeah, I try to mix them up and not give them all everyday. Especially not the kale, i just give him a little like every other day or so now that he's actually eating those vitamin tabs..I know it's really not the best variety so i'll definitely look into that as well and try to find some more things! I just don't have a ton of options since if i get too much of one thing it ends up going to waste since my family doesn't eat them too lol. I'll definitely try though.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Furnacefairy

Cavy Gazer
You need to find an exotic vet to treat your guinea pigs. Dog and cat vets get little or no education and training in the care of exotics.

The vet list at GL is by no means comprehensive -- it's just a list of vets that GL users have liked. There are a number of exotic vets in Iowa: https://exoticpets.about.com/od/healthandsafetyissues/a/Iowa-Exotics-Vet.htm

It sounds as though whatever organism is causing the problem is resistant to Baytril. The vet could try doxycycline, or a combination of Baytril and doxy, or a stronger antibiotic, like gentamycin, in a nebulizer.

Oh believe me I know lol. The first one I went to did say they did exotic pets, but being the town I live in I don't think they really have much need for it so they don't know as much, at least not for guinea pigs. I didn't know where else to go so at the time I didn't have much of a choice, so thank you for the link! I figured that one wasn't all of them but I couldn't find any others in what I googled for some reason :p

Ok, I will look into those for sure. Thanks again I appreciate it!

Furnacefairy

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I know I'm new to this forum but I'm really at a loss for what to do so I figured posting here can't hurt anything.
So anyway, my guinea pig (named Pig lol) has been pretty sick for about the past 10 months that i've had him......

Hello again, I just wanted to give you all an update. We did actually find a vet that looked promising (Still an hour away but that's definitely more doable than 2-3 lol), so we took him there about a week ago. She did a culture and x-ray, and there was in fact a ton of bacteria but the medicines she gave us (Doxycycline and I think the other was gentamycin that we've been dropping into his nose.) worked really well with the culture.

So anyway, the medicines do seem to be working great so far. His congestion has been pretty off and on the whole time but today has been much better and he's been sounding clear for the most part. His actual breathing is also getting back to normal as his nose clears up, and now that I think about it I haven't heard him cough anymore.
Also, I have been trying my best to vary his veggies and such more and I think I've been doing a better job with that even though It's still probably not the best (Don't worry, I'll keep trying!)

Thank you bpatters and Heather Acosta for the help - I really, really do appreciate it.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear they did an xray and that it's clearing up . You can order hay online from one of the large hay companies. KM Hayloft, Drs. Foster & Smith, Pet Food Direct are a few of the larger companies that sell hay. I'd switch to orchard grass or blue grass. Oat hay is a cereal grain hay and not a grass hay and is fattening so I'd stick to the grass hays.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Oat hay is a cereal grain hay and not a grass hay and is fattening so I'd stick to the grass hays.

That is actually by definition incorrect, both oat and wheat are true cereal crops, by definition cereal crops are grasses cultivated for their grains. This by definition makes both wheat and oat hay grass hays, even guinea lynx lists them as such, but you are correct that they are both more fattening then some other kinds of grass hay.

However I would like to add all of my guinea pigs, despite oaten hay being their only hay (due to the hay choices in my region being limited to wheaten and oaten) are all within normal weight ranges with my smallest pig, a sow, averaging 880 grams and my largest, a boar, averaging 1350 grams.

Heather Acosta

Cavy Slave
You're welcome Furnacefairy. I'm glad that your piggy is doing better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.