Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grooming Long hair piggies?

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
Are long hair pigs more prone to skin allergies/problems? I try to keep his hair trimmed up and brushed out but my piggy spunky has been having really bad itchy skin and lots of shedding. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago and treated him for mites but it hasn't fixed anything.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
In my experience no long haired pigs are not more prone to skin problems (except for urine scald if they are not maintained correctly but your case is certainly not urine scald). How was he treated for mites (topically, orally, etc.), what product was used to treat, and was treatment ever repeated? Does he have dandruff? Has any of the hair he has lost had a small plug of dried skin connected to it?

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
In my experience no long haired pigs are not more prone to skin problems (except for urine scald if they are not maintained correctly but your case is certainly not urine scald). How was he treated for mites (topically, orally, etc.), what product was used to treat, and was treatment ever repeated? Does he have dandruff?

His skin is flaky but he doesn't have the mite dust he's had the previous times he had mites. Not the same symptoms but the vet wanted to try treating him for that first. I don't remember the exact name. I can look, but he had 3 treatments and I kept his cage very clean in the process. It's a small dose of a medication they use to treat cats and dogs for fleas I think. I just wonder if it's allergies because he's so itchy and he sneezes a lot.

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
I believe they gave him revolution

Soecara

Cavy Slave
That treatment is certainly sufficient to treat for mites so we can rule them out. The next most likely issue, which would explain his flakey skin, is a fungal infection https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html As the issue is not localised to one area I would recommend treating with an anti-fungal shampoo rather then a cream, the types of shampoo you can use are listed on the guinea lynx page I linked to.

recklessdoll

Cavy Slave
That treatment is certainly sufficient to treat for mites so we can rule them out. The next most likely issue, which would explain his flakey skin, is a fungal infection https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html As the issue is not localised to one area I would recommend treating with an anti-fungal shampoo rather then a cream, the types of shampoo you can use are listed on the guinea lynx page I linked to.

Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.