Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad My Dad Pulled Hair Aggressivly From My GuineaPig

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
IM SO UPSET AND ANGRY,
My dominant pig Arlo was behind Chewy wanting his bowl of hay,
even though Arlo had his own.
Dad and I where watching the piggies when Arlo decides to nip Chewys backside and take
a chunk of hair with it. We were both stunned but as we all know you connot give punishment to guinea pigs.
So I stood there frustrated while my dad decied to remove the house arlo was under and RIP out a HUGE chunk of
Arlos hair!
He wheecked in pain and ran over to a house for cover. I look at dads hands and a massive ball of fluff was in his hands.
I felt like pushing him to the ground and throwing up upagaisnt the door. Im so angry.
Im very upset becuase I told him to stop and he woundnt.

GuineapigTamer

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry!! Try to comfort the poor little guy, and maybe you could gently put a wet cloth on the spot to soothe it. That will probably be sore for a while, so just be very gentle with Arlo when you handle him and try not to touch the spot too much.

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for the advice!
I have just left him alone becuase thats what he mostly enjoys.

GuineapigTamer

Cavy Slave
Your welcome. I hope he heals well!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would also advise you calmly and maturely sit down with your father and explain why what he did was inappropriate, then ask him nicely to never repeat the behaviour.

Arlo was displaying his dominance in a way that is perfectly acceptable for guinea pigs, "punishing" him was completely unnecessary as he had done nothing wrong, and the way your father chose to punish him was inappropriate. Perhaps he thought that pulling out Arlo's hair would make him understand how Chewy felt, but it would not achieve that as that would require Arlo to make the mental connection between the relationship of the two actions, which is above the mental capabilities of guinea pigs. Instead all it achieved is showing Arlo that human hands are scary and hurt, which will detrimentally affect his relationship with humans.

GuineaPiggies7

Cavy Slave
I have talked EXTREMLY throughly to my dad,
but he keeps on replying "Its becuase he's molting"
Where I live its around the time animals molt but the amount of hair that came out was insane.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't molt.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I also live in Australia, none of my guinea pigs are losing hair any faster then they normally do.

BlackyReddy

Cavy Slave
Its so upsetting when your dad is abusive because they're bigger than you. I still remember a 'punishment' my dad gave my pet. Its an abuse of power. Sometimes they mean well but they loose their temper so they're in the wrong. But any way you try to correct a dad like this they won't listen because they have excuses that makes it ok for them to be abusive like this. I'm so sorry. Its terrible to you because its abuse of your feelings of safety also and taking away your ability to protect the things you love. I'm old enough to understand these things that happened to me now but the worst thing about abuse is you feel their is no help. But talk to adults you trust around you, not just people who excuse the behaviour i.e: if mum allows it. People who step over the line try to hide these things from others because they know they were wrong and fear being confronted about them. If they are confronted by someone their age or older they will be ashamed. Its not best you try to talk to him by yourself because they will just ignore or get mad at you. If you think Guinea pigs are ultimately not safe around him you should consider rehoming them for their own protection.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Tell your mom and let her talk to your dad about it. Your guinea pigs will be terrified of humans with that kind of abuse.

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
poor poor piggy, you will never know if he mistreats them when you aren't there :(
I know it sounds harsh but can you possibly give them away to a nicer home? - if he done that in front of you thinking it was fine god knows how else he might possibly treat them. just makes me so sad reading things like this.

GuineaBabes01

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs don't molt.
Then what do you call it when hand or rather shirtfulls of hair are on you after loving on them and putting them back in their bed?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Then what do you call it when hand or rather shirtfulls of hair are on you after loving on them and putting them back in their bed?
Birds molt. Guinea pigs shed. If you brush them regularly, they shouldn't shed as much.

frNzR4evr

Cavy Slave
and they enjoy the brushing, it can be a really good way to bond with them, especially if your Dad has made them nervous about people.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
I’m really sorry this happened.
I find that a great way to get them to re-bond with you (I did this after mine began to run away every time I approached, which was probably because they thought I was going to pick them up) is to approach them slowly with some small pieces of veg in your hand, and slowly offer it to them. This lets them know that you = good and you = treats, and they begin to associate good things with humans (or you, anyway).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.