Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Newborn Piggies

Cavies4EverEver

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Can someone advise of a checklist for newborn piggies so I can make sure i have everything before mommy has her babies? No she was not bred on purpose.
I plan on keepinga female for her and I already have 2 boys.

Here's what I got!
-Digital food scales to weigh mom and babies to make sure they are all gaining weight and maintaining weight well.
-Alfalfa hay to mix with their timothy hay as mom and babies will both need it for at least 3 weeks after birth for extra nutrients. Babies need it for growing, mom needs it for recovery and nursing.
-Cardboard or spare coroplast to baby-proof the cage. Sides of the cage need to be at least 10 inches high so the babies don't get their heads stuck in the grids. I just slid the cardboard in between the coro and the grids of my cage and it works perfect! Make sure to take any hay mangers out that are made of grids since the babies can get stuck in those too!
-Vitamin C supplements by Oxbow. These are optional but I got them for my sow to give her the extra vitamin C boost she needed during and after her pregnancy and the babies munched on them too.
- Emergency vet in case there are complications during birth or after. If the birth goes smoothly, keep an eye on mom to make sure she isn't bleeding excessively.

that's all I can think of off the top of my head :) Obviously make sure she doesn't have any pigloos or hideys she can get stuck in during birth and also make sure she is in at least a 2x3 if not a 2x4 so she doesn't feel crowded by the babies (which could result in her nibbling their ears :( )

Good luck! :) I hope you post photos! :) Freya and her babies wish your girl the best!
Newborn Piggies

Oh gosh I just love that little grey guy with the pink ears! Good luck to your mom and babies!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.