Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding can two baby boars be introduced?

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
hello, so basically i have a baby boar (and 2 baby girls) and a friend who is looking into adopting 2, I want to give him the boy, since I'm (probably) keeping the two girls since I already have 2 adult cavies... (that's not really relevant though)

ANYWAYS: if the boy was to adopt 2 boars, and i only have one, can I introduce/pair the baby boar to another baby boar, or even adult boar?
(btw my boar is almost 2 months old)
What's the maximum age for introducing two boars to each other?
I know girls are easier to pair but is it still possible for boys?
Or else what am I supposed to do with one boy, can they be housed alone or do they get lonely too?

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
You could also neuter the boy and house him with the girls! I haven't tried it myself but I have read that it can work out well.

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
You could also neuter the boy and house him with the girls! I haven't tried it myself but I have read that it can work out well.

I'm only going to keep 2 babies, BUT that's very true! I'm keeping an open mind to neutering my boy since if someone approaches me on adopting one of the girls, I'll probably neuter the boy and introduce him to all three females! Thanks!

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
You guys can see how my first girl got adopted on my earlier thread...:love:

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Personally, I would adopt out the boy to someone with another boar. That way, no surgery for your boy.

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
Personally, I would adopt out the boy to someone with another boar. That way, no surgery for your boy.

yes but if I know someone who wants 2 boys (and I only have 1) can I introduce my boy to another one, to give to my friend... that way there's 2?

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
There's no maximum age for boars to be introduced. While introductions with boys can sometimes be tougher, many go very well, especially when one of the boars involved is a baby. I wouldn't be afraid to adopt out to someone with a boar to introduce. If you wanted to neuter the baby, you would have to wait until he was old enough, which will vary with the vet you use.

ok thanks! would it be more desirable to introduce the guinea pigs while their still young? idk i read somewhere that introductions are easier with younger guinea pig...?

Popcorn321

Cavy Slave
Yeah, generally introductions with babies are very easy. The thing is, once the baby grows up a bit and enters puberty, squabbling might go on. I'd say it's still better to introduce while young than to wait until after puberty though.

When is puberty for guinea pigs?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There seems to be no clear definition of it. Baby boars can impregnate a female at around 3.5-4 weeks, but the adolescent posturing and squabbling doesn't seem to come until they're a few months old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.