Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Wood Pellets/Chips 3 full weeks of wood pellets

Pellets serve as the absorbent layer. You don't need uhaul blankets if you use them.

I put a layer of light fleece over the pellets because it's easier to get the hay and piles of poop out. But I just stir whatever is left in with the pellets.

By using the fleece, I very seldom have to change the pellets. I'm actually coming up on a year of using pellets without replacing them. No odor whatsoever.

thank you. So you do advise the horse bedding and leaving it for 3 weeks or so? This is so helpful. Thank you so much

Maybe I missed something, but what is the three weeks?

If I can leave mine in for a year, I don't think you'll have any problem using them for three weeks, if that's what you're asking.

Last edited:
I was looking at the title of the thread when I was asking, so I was thinking three weeks instead of the year you said

I bought the pellets from tractor supply and when I poked a hole in the bag at the store, I didn’t think the odor was that strong. When I opened the bag at home, I feel the scent is too strong.

Can I leave them out or put them in a bucket to let them air out and hope the scent goes away or do I just need to wait and get a new bag?

You can air them out, but it'll take weeks and it will have to be done in something shallower than a bucket. The couple of times I tried it, I used a cheap wading pool.

Thanks bpatters. I appreciate the responses and information. I was so disappointed when I opened the bag. I think there is only one store in the area.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.