Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Mouse is not eating - need advice

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Hi again, I need some advice. Mouse is on Reglan and antibiotic SMZ. She is eating veggies and pellets on her own and some hay. We cannot catch her eating it, but some disappears. Her poos are getting better formed and lots of them, but now her urine spot is white powdery stuff. That means too much calcium, right?

She eats Oxbow pellets, green lettuce, carrots, and green peppers right now. I don't think she is drinking. What could be causing this and how do I get her to drink?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The first thing I'd do is take her off the Oxbow pellets and see if things improve. If so, you could order a small amount of KMS pellets and see how she does on those -- they have a different calcium source than Oxbow, and a lot of stone pigs do much better when eating them.

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
They used to eat KMS pellets and I never had a problem so I'll order a small pack to see if they like the latest formulation. When KMS changed suppliers the girls didn't like the pellets, but now that KMS has further tweaked the formula I'll give them a try again.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
I know you're downriver but for future reference, Parkway Animal Hospital is the most experienced and cavy savy vets around. https://www.parkway-animal-hospital.com It's my understanding, from multiple sources, that they are the place to go for major problems. Not the cheapest though. Just thought I'd let ya know. :)

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
I had no idea barbaramudge. I recognize the name. Thanks for the info!

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
No problem! If you need cheaper options Dr Wilson in Sterling Heights has a couple good cavy savy docs on staff. :)

Kelly9

Cavy Slave
Mouse is all better, well, she has been. Today she got hay in between her eye and eyelid! Luckily, I got it out and we will be back to the vet tomorrow morning. Anything I can do in the meantime?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.