Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing Help about anal sac cleaning?

MaddieKramer

Cavy Slave
Hello!! My little boys need a deep clean but I don't know what to do anal sac/penis wise. I've given them baths before, cut their nails, and cut their hair, but never this. Any tips and tricks? What do you guys use? Thanks!!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
How old are they? Most pigs don't need their anal sacs cleaned.

MaddieKramer

Cavy Slave
They are around 6-7 months old. They aren't neutered, but if they don't need it, I am totally ok with not doing it XD. I have just heard mixed things from a variety of sources.

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
It's actually not advisable to routinely clean their anal sacks for no reason. You actually strip away the natural mucous and can tear the lining and actually cause issues rather than prevent them. Anal Sack cleaning should only be done for pigs that have problems. I always check the area, make sure there are no foreign bits (I have long haired boys, so they sometimes get fur stuck...lovely) but in the two years I've had these guys I've never had to do the type of cleaning that GL suggests.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You should check regularly, but only clean if necessary. There's a youtube link in the medical section on how to do it.

AnnikasMommy

Cavy Slave
Thank you for asking this, I was curious about that as well and forgot to ask Dr Gina yesterday.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.