Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Animal Welfare What is wrong with people?!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Five or six I might be able to understand. But eight! I was eight when I got my first guinea pig and I knew better then that! What was going through those girls heads???

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
That makes me SOO mad, I can't even put it into words. A few months ago, I was looking at Yahoo Answers in the animal section to see if I could answer any questions. I only do this occasionally, but since this last time, I have stopped completely. I read a question about a hamster and it literally made me want to scream. A couple teenagers were "playing" with their sister's hamster. By "playing" I mean throwing it back and forth like a ball. From pretty far away. So As they are throwing it, it accidentally drops onto the ground. To save the poor hamster from any stress and/or pain, they bash it's head with a hammer. HOW DOES THIS PREVENT STRESS AND PAIN??? Then they ask, What should we do about our sister? Should we go buy her another one so she doesn't notice?

I let my friend hold my hamster, and he accidentally dropped him. I was mad at him, but he didn't mean to and it turned out the hamster was fine and he lived another year. Before bashing the hamster's head, couldn't those kids check to make sure he was alive and didn't have anything broken before deciding to hurt it further? But what makes the most mad is they were TEENAGERS who should have common sense enough to know that THROWING A HAMSTER will probably kill it! I would be slightly more forgiving for a 7 & 8 year old. But both these cases are HORRIBLE!

Another time some random person was saying "I like to whip my guinea pigs with thick wire cords to torture them" There were several of these posts, and no questions. The responses were amazing though. I can't believe people sometimes!! Since this, I have NEVER been on Yahoo Answers. :sick: :sick:

4cavies

Cavy Slave
That makes me SOO mad, I can't even put it into words. A few months ago, I was looking at Yahoo Answers in the animal section to see if I could answer any questions. I only do this occasionally, but since this last time, I have stopped completely. I read a question about a hamster and it literally made me want to scream. A couple teenagers were "playing" with their sister's hamster. By "playing" I mean throwing it back and forth like a ball. From pretty far away. So As they are throwing it, it accidentally drops onto the ground. To save the poor hamster from any stress and/or pain, they bash it's head with a hammer. HOW DOES THIS PREVENT STRESS AND PAIN??? Then they ask, What should we do about our sister? Should we go buy her another one so she doesn't notice?

I let my friend hold my hamster, and he accidentally dropped him. I was mad at him, but he didn't mean to and it turned out the hamster was fine and he lived another year. Before bashing the hamster's head, couldn't those kids check to make sure he was alive and didn't have anything broken before deciding to hurt it further? But what makes the most mad is they were TEENAGERS who should have common sense enough to know that THROWING A HAMSTER will probably kill it! I would be slightly more forgiving for a 7 & 8 year old. But both these cases are HORRIBLE!

Another time some random person was saying "I like to whip my guinea pigs with thick wire cords to torture them" There were several of these posts, and no questions. The responses were amazing though. I can't believe people sometimes!! Since this, I have NEVER been on Yahoo Answers. :sick: :sick:

I had been on there too, before finding this forum and I know what you mean! There was a story about someone allowing their pig to eat a wash cloth sized piece of fabric, which lead to them having a bloated tummy and unable to move, asking what to do. Obviously, I told them he more than likely has an impaction due to it and he needs to be seen by an exotic vet. Their reply was the vet was too far away, when the day before they had posted about medication dosages for their other pigs ivermectin treatment! I told them if they can get the other one to a vet for mites, surely they can get this one there! I had to wonder if this one maybe isn't their favorite or some such bull.

Children at that age should know better. They are definitely at the stage where they can think for themselves and have some ounce of sense to think "hey, maybe this isn't right"! My 7 year old would NEVER even contemplate doing this, let alone actually DO it. As a matter of fact, he was instructing my friend on how to hold them properly!

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave

I very much hope that this person was just saying stupid things for fun and didn't actually do this!

4cavies

Cavy Slave
I just returned from my mothers house. Her neighbor just got her daughters a NEW pig!! I had to stopped from wrenching it out of the girls hands! Unbelievable!!

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
I just returned from my mothers house. Her neighbor just got her daughters a NEW pig!! I had to stopped from wrenching it out of the girls hands! Unbelievable!!
What!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!???!?? Why I outta......

piggy_mom

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
It makes me sad and ANGRY by the way people treat small animals. they think they are just like toys and when they die you can get a new one. When i was 4 or five i got my first betta fish, some kids might have stuck their hands into the bowl, pour a whole jar of fish food in the bowl, or something or the other, but i never did because my parents kept the bowl high enough that i can't reach it. They did let me feed him, but they first measured out the food then put it in my hand and then i put the food in the bowl. I got my first hamster when i was 6 or 7, i was always gentle, and my mom and dad supervised me even though i was mature for my age to know better than through the animal around. he died of old age and water poured out of my eyes like a waterfall. And my parent's weren't just like, "oh its okay we will get another one!" They comforted me and told me he had gone to a better place. Parents these days don't supervise their children and aren't strict enough in my opinion.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
We had pigs since I was born and were probably holding them unsupervised by 5 years old. We wouldn't have ever done anything like that. Things weren't perfect but the worst we did was stuff like dressing them up in clothes either from dolls or made ourselves. We would make mazes down the hallway out of the extensive vhs collection. None ever got hurt. Probably mostly just annoyed at times. I'm not sure what the difference was between us being unsupervised at a young age and other peoples' kids who do horrible things to animals. We never hurt anything on purpose and very very rarely on accident. We were as careful with everything as kids can be.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
@joys_cavies & @4cavies, my sentiments exactly! If I were there.....! Can your Mum have words with that neighbour about this? I would tell them my concerns & warn them if anything, like anything (in capitals!), happens to that piggy the authorities will be contacted. If she doesn't want to face them, put a note in their mailbox. She could contact SPCA/authorities what happened & ask their advice. Do the other neighbours know?
This just can't be ignored.

4cavies

Cavy Slave
@joys_cavies & @4cavies, my sentiments exactly! If I were there.....! Can your Mum have words with that neighbour about this? I would tell them my concerns & warn them if anything, like anything (in capitals!), happens to that piggy the authorities will be contacted. If she doesn't want to face them, put ac note in their mailbox. She could contact SPCA/authorities what happened & ask their advice. Do the other neighbours know?
This just can't be ignored.

One other neighbor that I know of knows. She knows the Piggie abuser better than my mother, and it was she who had first mentioned it to my mother. The thing.... What I have seen of her... She's not much better than them. As a matter of fact, she would let her unspayed cat out. When she turned up pregnant and with fleas, they stopped letting her in and stopped feeding her. Like she became too much of a bother, seeing as it had happened before. After the first time, I gave them some advantage and a card for the local low cost spay and neuter clinic. She showed up hungry, losing hair... Just looking awful on my moms back porch. I picked her up, took her in to the vet and after she had her litter, took her in to be spayed and receive necessary vaccines. When I told the vet her background, he did it for free. Sweetest man. Only two kittens survived. One is with my neighbor, well loved and taken care of, one is with my husbands boss, also loved and cared for and my brother has the mama kitty. She was the sweetest animal, but cats unfortunately set off my asthama. But I digress.. So when my mother asked after their pig, the mother told her all about it, as if it were a completely natural thing to happen! But that is a good idea on a note in their mailbox, I will do that myself.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
One other neighbor that I know of knows. She knows the Piggie abuser better than my mother, and it was she who had first mentioned it to my mother. The thing.... What I have seen of her... She's not much better than them. As a matter of fact, she would let her unspayed cat out. When she turned up pregnant and with fleas, they stopped letting her in and stopped feeding her. Like she became too much of a bother, seeing as it had happened before. After the first time, I gave them some advantage and a card for the local low cost spay and neuter clinic. She showed up hungry, losing hair... Just looking awful on my moms back porch. I picked her up, took her in to the vet and after she had her litter, took her in to be spayed and receive necessary vaccines. When I told the vet her background, he did it for free. Sweetest man. Only two kittens survived. One is with my neighbor, well loved and taken care of, one is with my husbands boss, also loved and cared for and my brother has the mama kitty. She was the sweetest animal, but cats unfortunately set off my asthama. But I digress.. So when my mother asked after their pig, the mother told her all about it, as if it were a completely natural thing to happen! But that is a good idea on a note in their mailbox, I will do that myself.

Sounds like that neighbour needs a jolly good talking to as well. Oh man, I'm out of words. Not really, but what is going on in these people's heads! It's like they've ignored their consciences so long they' don't have them anymore

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave

That is unbelievable!!!!! If I lived where your mother did, I wouldn't have been able to control my temper. I usually keep my temper to myself, but when I unleash my fury... well, that is a horrible thing to behold. I'm even worse when it's about animals. Now give me a moment to rant to the wall... lol
I think the letter is a great idea, just give them what they need. Because, seriously?! ANOTHER pig? After those monsters cruelly murdered that first, innocent little piggy? I could just...

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah..
I'd probably find a way to take the new piggy away when no one's home, make sure I'm not seen, & deny any knowledge if asked.....

4cavies

Cavy Slave
They rent and I know the landlord and I also know he has a strict no pets policy. I may just have to let something slip and wait for the Piggie to be posted on craigslist. There's always room in my house for a pig.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
They rent and I know the landlord and I also know he has a strict no pets policy. I may just have to let something slip and wait for the Piggie to be posted on craigslist. There's always room in my house for a pig.

Yes, yes, yes!!! Great idea! You could even go a step further and say that you have guinea pigs and are looking for one more. The landlord would then tell the family this. I'd be scared that they'd kill the next one instead of selling it :sick:

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
Oh yes that makes it easier. Definitely contact the landlord ASAP & let him know what has been going on. Not only have they breached their tenancy agreement, the new piggy's life is in real danger. Yes, you could offer an immediate home for the piggy to "save" the tenants the "hassle" of having to find it a home themselves (if they don't kill it first).
Given the circumstances, could he visit them rather than just write to them, the piggy's life is at risk. Could he remove it from them (I don't know if he has a legal right, but as they have broken a legal contract I doubt they'd fight).?
I wish we were there with you to help. I would probably ask if I could accompany him or be nearby in the background to take the piggy....

Please let us know what happens. We all are concerned for the outcome.

littledinobug

Cavy Slave
I won't even let my 12 year old handle the fuzzies unsupervised.

3littlepigz

Cavy Slave
@4cavies, did you speak with the landlord? What happened with the new guinea pig? I really hope it was saved from being in that horrid place!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.