Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, I'm new.

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Gosh this is hard to read :( I really hope that it will work out soon. Poor piggie.

Tarams

Cavy Slave
Please, I'm begging you, get that poor pig to a vet or shelter!!!!!!! Please imagine what it must be like to go 48+ hrs with multiple broken limbs and no pain medication!

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
Your daughter can't do what is really needed for him, unless she is a cavy-savy exotics vet that does house calls :/ Please either bring him to an exotics vet (regular cat and dog vets are not equipped to properly treat guinea pigs.. but I mean, even they can probably put one to sleep) or surrender him to a shelter.

stevelittle9999

Cavy Gazer
Guys, the force feeding does not work; he just cries and cries when we try. He will lick the water some and he will eat the poop if I put his face close to it. BTW, he has been making huge piles of poop, when he starts they come out continuously for several minutes. We are taking him to a vet today that my daughter knows about.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Thank you for getting him to a vet today! It has been far too long with out a vet, but at least he will get care today. Is it an exotic vet or just a dog and cat vet?

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
You need to crush up some pellets with water and use a needle-less syringe to stick it in the side of his mouth and force him to eat it.

HollysMama

Cavy Gazer
I'm glad you're daughter is coming over to help. Let us know what the vet says. :)

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Yes please keep us informed, we are really worried about him. I wish we knew who those horrible kids are, they make me so angry!!!!

Rywen

Cavy Slave
You said he had a lot of mud in his mouth, he probably has an intestinal infection. He may also have a broken or injured jaw.

stevelittle9999

Cavy Gazer
I guess he could have jaw problems too, he was being tossed in a shallow mud hole with a concrete bottom. I'm sure he had been tossed several times before they ran off. And I'm sure he swallowed the muddy watter.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
How did the vet go?

stevelittle9999

Cavy Gazer
My daughter took him with her and she is taking him in the morning.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Are you sure there is no emergency vet near you? This poor pig has been without food for how long, three days? You need to take him to the vet or somehow get some food into him or he'll starve to death. I'm sorry, but it's true.

stevelittle9999

Cavy Gazer
I tried, but he would not eat anything but poop, weird little guy.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
You need to get a syringe and force feed him if you can't get him to a vet ASAP. You won't like it, and he won't like it, but it'll keep him alive.

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
This honestly isn't fair to him. There really is no excuse for not getting him to the vet in a timely manner. He should have gone the day you got him, when you expected he had broken bones. At the very latest, the next day. It's just cruel waiting this long. He's in pain, slowly starving away right now.

HollysMama

Cavy Gazer
Poor piggie! Please let us know what the vet tells your daughter. I feel so sorry for the helpless piggie. Breaks my heart! :(

stevelittle9999

Cavy Gazer
The vet gave pain meds and set and taped the pigs feet and legs, his jaw and teeth seem to be ok. He did not know much about force feeding, but my daughter is on a mission to figure that out.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html has all the information you need to know. But if he's eating on his own, you don't need to handfeed him.

He needs a long strand grass hay (timothy, blue, orchard, meadow or brome) ALL the time -- it will keep his teeth ground down and his gut moving properly. He needs a cup or so of veggies (red or green leaf lettuce and bell peppers are the best to start with), and he needs a plain timothy pellet (no seeds, nuts or colored bits in it). Put everything close to him so he doesn't need to move much to be able to eat and drink, but change the bedding under him frequently so he doesn't get urine scald.

Post back if he does need to be hand fed if you have any questions.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm glad he saw the vet and has pain meds now, hopefully with less pain he will be more willing to eat. If you haven't already please ask your daughter to read the guinealynx.com info on hand feeding/force feeding piggies. If the vet didn't give her critical care she can use a Timothy pellet mash. If she needs syringes most pharmacies will let you have a few (or sell you a few for a small amount) if you tell them you don't want any needles and need them to feed a sick/injured animal. https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.