Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, I'm new.

Hey I am new too, but I have a pig in need of help. I saw some kids throwing a pig in a mud hole in a new housing development. As I drove up they ran into the woods and left the pig in the mud. He was squeaking and I picked him up. Hi front feet seem broken and he just sits there suealing. He is a big fella/gal, not sure, and it cleaned up pretty good in my kitchen sink. I wish I could find the kids that did this.

If it does have a broken foot you need to take it into an exotics vet (regular cat and dog vets do not get much training in the medical care of guinea pigs). They will need to take x-rays to confirm and asses the break. They will also need put him/her on medication for the pain.

For now you need to keep him/her confined to a small space so he/she doesn't make the injury worse. You will also need to go out and get him/her some hay ASAP, guinea pigs need food constantly moving through their digestive system and hay should make up 80% of their diet. He/she may or may not use a water bottle, but with potentially broken bones a dish of water might be hard for it to use.

He is trying to eat, but he just keeps squealing. His front feet just flop when he moves his legs.

You need to try to make it so he can't move. Restrict his cage to a VERY small space. When my pig had a spinal injury I tried to make it so he couldn't move at all the first few weeks (vets orders). He had one snuggle sac, and right outside his snuggle sac was his food and water. I didn't put the pellets or vegetables in a bowl (to prevent him from straining anything trying to reach into the bowl), but on a little mat instead. We drilled a hole into the side of his cage to stick his water bottle sprout through, to make it lower for him so he wouldn't have to reach to get it. He was only 3 weeks when this happened, and he probably had about 1x1 feet of space, maybe a bit bigger, but not by much.

Thank you for rescuing this poor baby. Would you please share where you live so we may be able to help you find a good exotics vet? We may even know one with emergency hours, so you can get him in before morning. It sounds like he is in great pain.

I am in Jackson MS. The pig is still screaming/squeaking laying on its side. Should I put it 'down'?

Oh my, that poor piggie! You might try gently wrapping him a towel or small blanket and putting one side of the towel over his head (so he can still breathe) so he doesn't feel like he has to run away. They are prey animals so don't like being out in the open, they like covered places. I found one vet in Jackson who says they cover exotics, they open at 7:30AM https://www.northsidepet.com/

I don't think he needs to be put to sleep, from what you're describing. Pain medication, an anti-inflammatory, restricted cage space, some splits... but he'll probably heal fine. It will take time and money to get him right again, though.

I will be taking him to the vet in a while. He is still in pain, squeals when he moves and he will not eat. He can walk a little but he squeals, I had to wash a bunch of mud out of its mouth this morning.

I will be taking him to the vet in a while. He is still in pain, squeals when he moves and he will not eat. He can walk a little but he squeals, I had to wash a bunch of mud out of its mouth this morning.

So glad you're taking him to the vet. Let us know what they say please. <3

All four legs are broken and he is dragging his backside when he walks. He chirps when he walks, not as much screaming, but still will not eat. Not sure what to do.

Can I just let him live this way? Will he get used to it?

Are they broken, as in compound breaks, where the ends of the bones are separated? Or just cracked?

But honestly, I'd be tempted to put him down and get him out of his pain. Poor little guy. I'd like to break the feet of the people who did this to him.

@stevelittle9999 I wouldn't let him live that way. It sounds like he is in awful pain and needs to get to the vet ASAP! If the vet can't do much, I personally would put him down. One broken leg is very painful, much less four. As others have said, try to make him move as LITTLE as possible! He could injure himself even more.

@hollysMomma on a lighter note, Hi and welcome! Your piggy is very cute! I hope we can answer all your questions (If you have any) :)

Welcome to the forum! You should definitely look into getting a buddy for your pig. Also, look around for shelters or rescues to get one from, or rehome one on Craigslist. Pet store piggies are often sick or pregnant (take it from me, mine was prego with three). It's best to adopt.

Your pig is so cute!!! Very cute name, as well. If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask.

Oh, I just read the second page, and I am crying for the poor baby. Agree with bpatters, whoever did this is just plain evil and a disgusting excuse for a human being. I am SOOO mad right now. Please keep us updated :(

Thank you! :) I would love to get her a friend soon.

He has stopped trying to walk and he still won't eat. He does lick water I put on the counter top

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.