Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance Is mounting a normal behaviour for females

guineapigman

Cavy Slave
Hi, today I saw one of my female guinea pigs mounting the other. It scared me a bit. I have had them since late August so I think I would have at least seen signs of pregnancy if one was a male. I am fairly sure they are both females though. I am just wondering if it is normal for females to do this? Is it hormonal maybe? Thanks

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, female guinea pigs will sometimes mount each other as a way of showing dominance. But if you'd like to double check their gender just to be sure this page is really helpfull (lots of pictures): https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yep, perfectly nprmal.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yea it's normal mounting is all about dominance behavior than sexual behavior. Males will mount males and females will mount females. But its fine if you want to check their genitalia just to make sure. It might at least help you put your mind at ease.

piggy.mamma

Cavy Slave
My girls do it often... Especially when they are in heat. It's normal, but like the other members have said, be sure they are girls... That way there is no suprises!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.