Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Going to be adopting a new friend for Cinna.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Ok so as all of you may know I've been looking for a new friend for Cinna since he lost his brother. I am so excited and wanted to share my joy with everyone. Tomorrow I will going to a rescue about 2 hours away to hopefully adopt a guinea pig. I got a call Monday from the animal welfare league of queen anne's county saying they had 3 guinea pigs. I called them the next day after talking with my mom. Well I found out they have 2 females and one male well of course I'll be looking at the male. After talking with them they said I could bring Cinna to see how well they get along. I hope they get along so cross your fingers for us. I tried other places closer I even had our humane society where I got Cinna and Gin-Gin from to look out for me but no luck. And if you read another post I tried contacting someone from Craigslist but never heard back. I am so excited for tomorrow.

So I have a few questions first do you think it would be a good idea to quarantine? And second how do I make the new guy comfortable on the journey home since it will be a new environment for him? Thirdly if I do the quarantine do you have any tips I know it should be 3 weeks and in a separate room?

I wouldn't quarantine, since you're already going to briefly introduce them, Cinna will already have been exposed to anything the new guy may have, making quarantine pointless.

For the ride home just make sure he has his own carrier with some soft bedding. When I bring my girls in the car they are on a fleece pad with a handful of hay and I give them a couple slices of cucumber or pepper. They don't enjoy the car but they will be fine. I would just make sure he's separate from Cinna for ride home even if they seem to get along well they probably won't enjoy being stuck together in a close space.

I hope everything works out well for you guys and Cinna can get a new buddy! Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Yes, I agree with @sallyvh about the whole quarantine thing. And yes, be sure to post pigtures!

Oh my gosh, yay for you and Cinna! I hope they get along, fingers and toes crossed!

Wonderful news we brought the new guy home they seemed to get along fine just a few nips and chattering. I think it will work but I'm going to wait awhile before we introduce them. I first want to expand the cage to a 2x5 with Gin-Gin I could get away with a 2x4 cause him and Cinna got along so well. The new guy was named flash by the shelter but that name just didn't work so we're going to call him Gale to go with the hunger games theme. The lady said he was brought in with the two female and the couple who had them the women got cancer and couldn't give them the attention they deserved. And they didn't have a name at least none that the guy told them about so they just started calling him flash. I do have one more question is it ok to use a lap pad that Cinna has used? I hope that it is cause I thought if he knew Cinna's scent he might be a little more excepting and the same for Cinna. I'm not going to put them together yet but just thought it be a good idea for him to know Cinna's scent before the intro. But of course if you think I shouldn't or if its s bad idea I won't.

Congratulations! My middle name is Gale, so I have something in common with your new pig !

Yay, congratulations! I can't wait to see a pigture of Gale! No clue on the lap pad.

Great news! Congratulations!

Photos please! :)

Going to be adopting a new friend for Cinna.

Here's my new piggy Gale as everyone requested. He's still a little skiddish right now he's out for floor time. The shelter thought he hasn't been handled alot so he still runs from us.

Sorry not sure why it's sideways.

He's gorgeous!

Congrats! He is gorgeous!

He's very handsome, I'm so happy for you and your piggies!

So cute! Hope he's settling in well.

Aww! Gale looks exactly like my Rosemary!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.