Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Blankets No fleece, can i use towels until i can get fleece??

nazira03

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I just relized i am out of Carefresh and the fleece i ordered has not yet shipped. I only have these towels on hand. They are very absorbent, the perfect size for my c&c cage and i have around 7 of these towels (thats plenty until my fleece is delivered) i will be changing it out every day. I know, i'm a horrible piggie parent. :sad::sad::sad:

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
They're absorbent so they'll retain moisture, which is bad for their little feet to be walking on. You've no fleece blankets laying around your house? A lot of throw blankets are made of fleece. If you have a KMart near you, I know they sell fleece blankets for very cheap (usually around $3). Of course you'll need to wick them first, so you'll be doing a lot of washing/drying today if you go with that route!

nazira03

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Wow, that was fast! I am afraid not. I do not have any fleece blankets right now. Our nearest Kmart is almost 30 miles away. :sad:

izzys parents

Cavy Slave
Check the clearance section of your nearest walmart's fabric department,

nazira03

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I will not be able to go anywhere tomarrow because i will be VERY busy with work and school. It is almost 8 PM here, so cannot go anywhere today either. I have already ordered fleece from Joann, so i was just wondering until that comes will i be able to use plain towels?

AmberCalzone

Cavy Slave
It really won't be good for their feet :/ They'll be walking around on (acidic) moisture all day if you just use towels. Your best bet is to probably fit a trip to the pet store into your busy day (I know, easier said than done) to pick up a small bag of disposable bedding until your new fleece comes in.

nazira03

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I understand. :/

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
If there's a walmart near you, they carry generic carefresh bedding. Some are even open 24 hours, so you could swing by now and go get some bedding :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The thing with using towels as bedding (just towels with no fleece) is that not only will they be walking around on pee which can cause bumblefoot, they'll be lying in it, which can cause urine scald. They would also be breathing it in, which could contribute to respiratory problems. Not worth the risks in my opinion.

ibeabluedevil

Cavy Slave
Walmart has 50"x60" fleece blankets on sale for $2.88, which fits perfectly in a 2x4 or 2x5 C&C cage. I got like 10 of them to use for my 3 cages. I had to wash them several times to get them to wick, but $2.88 is a pretty good deal for them and are a good backup to use when my main cage liners are in the washer. If you can somehow stop there and get 1 or 2 that would be better than the towels.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.