Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Kitchen area - using a hooded litter box - pic attached

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Hi all

Is anyone using a hooded kitty litter box. I thought it would be fantastic as a kitchen area.

Kitchen area - using a hooded litter box - pic attached

Kitchen area - using a hooded litter box - pic attached

I tried making my own but shavings and hay was going all over the cage. This promises to keep things in!
Let me know your thoughts please.

Flowering

Cavy Slave
By the way I am going to take the door off as in 1st pic

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
If its big enough to fit your piggies I say go for it. But the entrance maybe a little high so you might want to cut the entrance lower for them. Of course with a picture its kind of hard to tell. Or if it is to high you can always get some fiddle sticks to make a bridge or something.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You'll have to clean it very frequently, as they pee and poop a lot where they eat, and their butts will be pretty much in the same place the whole time they're in there. Also, they may decide they like sleeping in there, and that's not a good thing. They'll be lying in their own waste and breathing the fumes.

Couldn't you just find something with higher sides and cut a hole for a door, and ditch the roof?

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I used a cheap litter box for 1.98 from walmart for a while, it worked better when I switched to a hay bag above so it didn't take up as much room in the pan.Kitchen area - using a hooded litter box - pic attached

pinky

Cavy Slave
If it's for a cat, I'm guessing it must be pretty large. It looks like there's ventilation at the top so it probably has more air flow than a pigloo. My only question is, how are you going to hang their water bottle in there? If there food is in there, you need to have their water bottle in there, too.

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
The hooded litterbox looks good as long as it's ventilated. I think I'd put food & water outside as there doesn't appear to have room inside. What about hay?
I use 2 cat litter trays which just have wood pellets with a layer of hay. Each tray now has hay box at one end & a toilet roll stuffed with hay hanging over it. The girls sleep, pee & poo in there. The food & water is in a separate area. The trays did have a fiddlesticks log house over the trays but with the hay boxes there now they have to be roofless, but the girls don't seem to mind.

Last edited:

Flowering

Cavy Slave
Good advice! I will definately be taking the square part off the top of the hood part so they wont want to hide in there. I will update you on how I get on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.