Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Debating about getting into guineapigs again.

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone. A lot has changed. I moved out of home and my mum kept my other piggies and wont give them back (fair enough she loves them to death!) I ended up getting into rats and go to rat shows where I live now which is a lot of fun. I have 4 girls and 5 boy rats :D I don't breed, I just enjoy them.
Now I was thinking of getting a pair of piggies but I'm hesitant. Where I live is a unit which means there would not be any grass so I would have to give hay which I can get as I have horses so always have tonnes of hay. But would their diet be okay with Hay, fruit and veggies? I'm very hesitant because I've always had my pigs having grass but it wont really be an option here. Thankyou :)

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Your pigs will be fine with hay, fruit and veggies... but pellets are important, too.

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
Are they allowed on Cummings Pellets? I buy bulk for my rats? I don't believe they would be but I want to double check, or for pellets would they be just from pet shop or grocery store :)

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
IM in Australia. Thankyou :D no I probably wouldn't feed those pellets

xTayzx

Cavy Slave
Im sure I Can find some in the shops anyhow :)

Icarus_Hermes

Cavy Slave
I agree as long as they have hay, they don’t necessarily need grass. However, I also now live in a unit with no yard, and my childhood piggies loved eating my parents’ lawn. So I grow wheatgrass in trays for my boys. Super easy to grow, and my pigs love it!

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Grass isn't a necessity, but it's very nutritious and they absolutely love it. Like other people said, it can be easily grown indoors for your pigs. Even if you feed them fresh grass, they always need unlimited grass hay as well.

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs need pellets and hay choices that are appropriate for their diet. Guinea pig pellets will be labeled for guinea pigs and not for any other animal. The hay should not be alfalfa hay. Guinea pigs can go without grass and many do, just make sure you can find them the next best thing...... a high-quality grass hay, green, fragrant, without mold, and not dusty. If you have that many rats, I would say not to get guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.