Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mommy of 2 soon to be a grandma! Haha

sasha_and_suzy

Cavy Slave
Hello :)! I am 14, my name is Jazlyn, and my piggies' names are Sasha and Suzy I sadly don't know when they were born. :( They love love love romaine lettuce, carrots, and apples. Suzy is pregnant I didn't find out until a week ago when I felt her tummy and saw them moving. I thought she was only overweight. I have no exotic animal vets nearby so it's not a for sure thing, but I'm pretty sure they're babies. Sasha is very shy and confident at the same time, if she sees my hand in the cage she'll run for her life. Suzy can barely move she's so huge so she doesn't care if my hand is near her. They're the happiest little piggies and I can't wait for the babies!!:eek::D

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome!

Firstly, it sounds like your girls need a more varied diet. They should only get one slice of apple once a week at the most. Fruit is too high in sugar to be a regular feature. Your girls should have lettuce and bell pepper daily. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List take a look at this to plan a good menu!

Secondly, you should really have an exotic vet on hand. 1 in 5 sows die giving birth and if Suzy has problems birthing, you'll need a vet to help. Are you entirely sure both of your pigs are female? Most pet stores cannot sex pigs properly. See https://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm, and check that their genitalia match.

And lastly, take a look around our pregnancy forum for advice on the pups, and make sure to sex the pups correctly so the boars can be removed from the females at 3 weeks old :)

Oh, and put up some pigtures of Sasha and Suzy if you can, we all love new piggies! :)

sasha_and_suzy

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the advice! The closest exotic animal vet is about 45 minutes away and have scheduled an appointment :) I am sure that they are both females, Suzy was mixed in with the males so I guess one of them impregnated her. About the fruits and veggies, I was just listing most of their likes. :) I try to give them as many different veggies and fruits as I can but they always just take a bite and leave it there, :( again thanks :) And will do

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I second @Princess_Piggie but you should really cut back on the fruits as said above they are really high in sugar. Plus instead of romaine try red or green leaf lettuce. I'm not sure what the romaine does but I've heard you should stay away from it.

Plus you should probably take a look at their genitalia just to be safe. Of course we know Suzy is but I would check Sasha just to be on the safe side. As said if you got them from a pet store they are notorious for miss-sexing their animals.

The pregnancy section will be very helpful. So you should definitely check that out. I hope this helped. And welcome to the forum.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@Starthecavy123, even though romaine is no higher in calcium than any other lettuce, it's definitely linked with a rise in calcium excretion. It doesn't happen in every pig, but it's better to play it safe than risk stones, plus it's not like they're missing out, they have a good 4/5 other lettuce's too choose from lol

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure what the romaine does but I've heard you should stay away from it.

The main reason to favor red or green leaf lettuce over Romaine is the amount and kind of calcium in romaine, which can contribute to stones in pigs. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.