Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding How to get guinea pigs to mate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

venividivigor

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I have 2 guinea pigs, one male and the other female, how do I make them mate? And once the female is pregnant, how will I know?

2198lindsey

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
This forum is anti-breeding. Breeding is extremely dangerous for your sow and can even result in death. I strongly recommend that you look into the risks of breeding before you even consider breeding her.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
This forum is anti-breeding. Breeding is extremely dangerous for your sow and can even result in death. I strongly recommend that you look into the risks of breeding before you even consider breeding her.

I never realized until I joined here how dangerous breeding them is! Kind of scary

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I joined this forum with intentions of breeding and showing my guinea pigs. Obviously I don't feel that way anymore, this forum does a great job of educating people on proper care of these wonderful animals.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
I joined this forum with intentions of breeding and showing my guinea pigs. Obviously I don't feel that way anymore, this forum does a great job of educating people on proper care of these wonderful animals.

That is for sure! I got a male first, and wasn't interested in babies, but once I started reading about the issues female have during labor, I made dang sure my second was a boy!

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave

I was the same way, but after reading about the dangers of breeding, I changed my mind. Now I am more interested in adopting or rescuing guinea pigs. I also learned my lesson about pet stores.

venividivigor

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
I've read the risks. So somebody should give me advice on how to properly take care of her, it'll help lower the possibility of her dying.

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
I've read the risks. So somebody should give me advice on how to properly take care of her, it'll help lower the possibility of her dying.
You will not receive advice on breeding any animal here. This forum is strictly anti-breeding.

On that note, if you've read the risks, how could you possibly still want to breed her?

Wildcavy

Cavy Gazer

If you already know the risks of breeding her, why in the world would you do it? There are plenty of pigs out there who need good homes, including juvenile pigs. There is zero good reason to breed pigs. The fact that you aren't sure how to care for them / breed them in itself says breeding should be the last thing on your mind.

I strongly encourage you to continue to participate on the forum and read through things, to learn more about piggies, from many of the well-informed folks here. I doubt you'll get any advice about breeding other than not to do it.

jessieisabel

Cavy Slave

The best way to reduce breeding risks? By not breeding! Curious, why is it that you want to breed? There are definitely already a lot of pigs out there looking for a home.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave

Are you prepared to pay thousands of dollars in vet bills to save her and the babies if needed? It can be upwards of $1,000 per pig depending on the situation: C-section, medications, etc...

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
When I first fell in love with GPs, I thought I wanted babies cause they are the cutest things around. BUT, after being on this forum and reading everything about how dangerous it is for the female and then about what the young piggies go through when they hit puberty, I have definitely decided that I want to start with older piggies and then down the line mix it up a bit. I just keep comparing them to adopting kids. Everyone wants the babies and the older ones get neglected. Poor older piggis ......

lunarminx

Cavy Slave

On that note, you should call your exotic vet for the best possible advice considering he/she is the one that takes care of your piggies and knows them best.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
When I first fell in love with GPs, I thought I wanted babies cause they are the cutest things around. BUT, after being on this forum and reading everything about how dangerous it is for the female and then about what the young piggies go through when they hit puberty, I have definitely decided that I want to start with older piggies and then down the line mix it up a bit. I just keep comparing them to adopting kids. Everyone wants the babies and the older ones get neglected. Poor older piggis ......

My first two were babies from a feed store( couldn't say no to my grandson again) but a month ago, I adopted two 3 1/2 year olds from a shelter.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
you don't want to breed your guinea pigs. when i first joined this site i thought i wanted mine to have babies too but there are soo mnay dangers in the sow getting pregnant it just isnt worth it

skbrodie

Cavy Slave

I'm usually not one to get so aggravated, but you sound like you just flat out don't care. If you've read the risks and are looking for ways to lower the possibility of death- the answer is simple: don't do it. There's absolutely no reason to knowingly breed guinea pigs that isn't a selfish one (in my opinion). There are plenty of pigs that need homes already- please don't increase that number! If you want more pigs just rescue them yourself, and if you're trying to sell the babies then I think that you need to rethink that decision. Really think about the risks- is it fair to the guinea pig?

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
@venividivigor - as you can see from the responses you've gotten from most people - this list is not only anti-breeding, but everyone here is extremely passionate about saving female piggies from the horrible pain of labor and the possibility of death for the pregnant piggy or the death of the babies or both. Please keep an open mind and read the information that has been provided. No one here hates you, again, they are extremely passionate and want to protect all the piggies and it's really hard to read the passion in their fingers (typing, get it lol). We just want to understand why you want to breed your pigs and want you to totally and completely understand the risks of possibly killing your female/babies.

This forum is a wealth of information, please look around and read and if you have any questions, please ask.

Michele

Aleks

Cavy Slave
I just wanted to add that if you're wanting to breed them simply so you can experience having baby piggies, then you could adopt a pregnant sow. That way you get to experience cute babies, you're not bringing even more into the world, and you're doing the rescue/shelter a favor as well. Of course make sure you'll be able to care for them financially and be able to give them good quality food, a big enough cage, enough room for a properly sized second cage if any of the babies are males, etc. And really do a lot of research before getting any piggy.

Melissa123

Cavy Slave
As the others have stated- you will find no help when it comes to breeding your piggies. I really hope after all of these replies you change your mind.

There are tons of piggies needing homes out there- why breed only to make more? @Aleks made a wonderful suggestion! If you are wanting to experience birth and the cuteness that comes with guinea pig babies adopt a pregnant female.

I just recused 3 piggies over a week ago- 2 males and 1 female. The female is most likely pregnant- I am not happy about this but am preparing myself for the what if cases that may happen..

Please do you research. Educate yourself before you decide to do this and please separate them asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.