Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food What are you piggies' favorite (and least favorite) veggies/fruits?!

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
As we all know, each guinea pig has his or her unique personality, and with that comes personal likes and dislikes when it comes to their fresh fruits and veggies. What are your piggies' favorite, and least favorite, foods? Please share below!!

Cookie and Oreo love:
Lettuce; romaine, butter leaf, endive, red and green leaf
Bell peppers; green and yellow
Cilantro
Peas (fed occasionally)
Spinach (fed occasionally)
Organic carrots (fed occasionally; I swear my girls can spot a non organic carrot a mile away because they won't even touch them! LOL!)
Strawberries (fed occasionally; this is their absolute favorite fruit!)
Cherry tomatoes (fed occasionally)
Apples (fed occasionally)

I cannot get my girls interested in:
Cucumber
Zucchini
Parsley
Asparagus
Yellow squash
Kale
Oranges

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
Odeta: Favorites are cucumber, peppers. Won't eat anything citrusy & will only take a couple bites out of a strawberry so I don't even give them to her.

Bitters & Theo: Love every single fruit, Bitters likes citrus the best & Theo likes blueberries. Neither seems to like parsley or kale

Jackson (foster pig): Romaine and cucumber are his favorites, likes carrots too. Won't eat peppers. Haven't tried anything else.

Also, Odeta and Theo will only eat the peel off a piece of mini cucumber while Bitters and Jackson will eat the whole thing. Who knows. And Bitters and Theo will eat the whole leaf of romaine, but Jackson doesn't usually like the stalks.

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
@jaycriae, Wow! What a unique herd! My girls will devour all parts of lettuce, stalk and leaves. *nom* When it comes to cucumber, like Odeta and Theo, my girls will only take a few bites of peel, then ride the rest off as the bane of their existence. LOL!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
@jaycriae, Wow! What a unique herd! My girls will devour all parts of lettuce, stalk and leaves. *nom* When it comes to cucumber, like Odeta and Theo, my girls will only take a few bites of peel, then ride the rest off as the bane of their existence. LOL!

Odeta loves cucumber peels. She's gone as far as running to the other side of the cage and wheeking to get the other pigs to go over there, so she can steal their cucumbers. She's a crafty one.

My girls are super silly with their preferences :) I'm surprised, though, that yours can tell the difference between organic and inorganic carrots! I have no idea if the carrots we buy are organic, I just make sure to wash them well. None of my pigs has ever had a problem with them, though Jackson and Theo don't usually finish their carrots. I think it's just because they don't have nearly as good senses of smell as the other two and tend to lose them, though.

peachyteen

Cavy Slave
Peanut loves cucumber and likes carrots well enough. Olive loves green leaf lettuce and she also likes carrots.

They both really like cilantro, wheatgrass, and dandelions as well.

mci1986

Cavy Slave
I've had Hematite and Malachite for less than 2 days so far so i'm still learning what they like, but they love baby carrots to the point where they will climb my hand to get one and *immediately* popcorn after they finish eating it.

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
I've had Hematite and Malachite for less than 2 days so far so i'm still learning what they like, but they love baby carrots to the point where they will climb my hand to get one and *immediately* popcorn after they finish eating it.

Whoa! That's got to be a sight to see!

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
Wow, my two piggies are named Oreo and cookie! They love lettuce and peppers cookie dough will literally have a fit if I don't give him a slice of a pepper. They hate zucchini,squash and the middle of romaine lettuce. I never understood why they never liked the stalks.

Nubbin

Cavy Slave
Nubbin love cilantro, parsley, cherry tomato, sweet corn and baby carrots.
He wants nothing to do with arugula, romaine, spinach or cucumbers.

I love that they each have unique little palates! Makes each one more special.

kairi26

Cavy Slave
Cosmo loves wheatgrass. Galactus likes it, but not quite as passionately. They both love cilantro, and if Cosmo can smell cilantro in the room by the doesn't have any, he'll start wheeking until he gets some. They like cucumber peel better than the rest of it which is handy if I'm making Greek salad because I can give them the peels and we eat the rest.

There's nothing that we've tried that they'll refuse, though there was one bite of carrot that Cosmo wouldn't eat the other day. He happily ate the rest of it, but he kept picking up and then dropping one little piece that he had broken off. It looked fine to me, but it must have tasted off to him or something.

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
Wow, my two piggies are named Oreo and cookie! They love lettuce and peppers cookie dough will literally have a fit if I don't give him a slice of a pepper. They hate zucchini,squash and the middle of romaine lettuce. I never understood why they never liked the stalks.

@Guineahamster65, Cookie and Oreo sure seem to be super popular names!! :) My Cookie absolutely loves pepper too, and will knock sweet little Oreo out of the way just to ensure she gets a piece too! That is strange how they don't like the stalk!

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
Nubbin love cilantro, parsley, cherry tomato, sweet corn and baby carrots.
He wants nothing to do with arugula, romaine, spinach or cucumbers.

I love that they each have unique little palates! Makes each one more special.

I completely forgot about arugula...maybe I'll have to let the girls try some soon. That's so interesting how Nubbin dislikes spinach and romaine! I don't think my girls could live in a world that didn't have those two staples on the menu! LOL!

Yes, I have to agree with you; each pig having their own palate does make them that much more special.

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
@Guineahamster65, Cookie and Oreo sure seem to be super popular names!! :) My Cookie absolutely loves pepper too, and will knock sweet little Oreo out of the way just to ensure she gets a piece too! That is strange how they don't like the stalk!
Haha it seems cookie and Oreo are common names. When I adopted them I wanted to change their names to Apollo and Ares(I'm kinda a Greek mythology freak) but since they had that name for two years I did want to change. I am still debating though!

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
All love dry bread ( not even sure if it's good or bad for them
parseley
celery
tomatoes!!!! Will sell their soul for them ( I know we give one small max)
grapes black
love their pellets too much but hate the dry corn in them while loving the fresh one too much

cucumbers - no thanks
apples - yes!!
watermelon
carrots
fennel

Guineahamster65

Cavy Slave
parseley
celery
grapes black
love their pellets too much but hate the dry corn in them while loving the fresh one too much

cucumbers - no thanks
apples - yes!!
watermelon
carrots
fennel
HI I saw on another post that you are new here I recommend you look on the nutritional part of the forum. Bread is a big Nono. Piggies are strict vegetarians and it can easily upset there stomach. I guess you don't know what bladderstones are some things that you are feeding are very high in calcium so I suggest you go to GuineaLynx.com and look up there nutrition chart. Please it will make life a lot better for you and the pigs!

SavvyCavies

Cavy Slave
parseley
celery
grapes black

cucumbers - no thanks
apples - yes!!
watermelon
carrots
fennel

To echo @Guineahamster65, bread isn't something piggies should be consuming, nor dried corn. It's a good thing that your piggies are avoiding the dried stuff as it is a choking hazard. When it comes to pellets, I'd recommend a Timothy hay based pellet (alfalfa based pellets for babies under 6 months and pregnant/lactating mothers only; high in calcium) without any of those colorful treat/sugary filler stuff or dried corn or nuts. Sunflower seeds are also a big no-no to look for as it's also a choking hazard. This forum is full of amazing resources when it comes to diet and nutrition.

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Dominos favorite:

Romaine lettuce
Tomato
Carrots
Bell pepper
Apple*
Strawberries*
Blueberries*
Spinach*

Least Favorite
Celery

*Of Course I don't feed these very often! But the rest I feed about once a day. Except for carrots and tomato, which are every other day usually :)

Pariscamp

Cavy Gazer
Ok thanks
Will do

animalmadlover

Cavy Slave
Sparkles and Ida love Parsley, they will do anything for parsley! But they don't like carrots quite as much and they don't like parsnip.

Jynxie

Cavy Gazer
Tribble and I are still learning about eachother, but thus far she doesnt seem too crazy about parsley...at all...

But she LOVES GREEN BELL PEPPERS OH MY LIFE (i give her a couple small.slivers for breakfast and dinner)

She seems to love carrots, so i give her half a baby carrot twice a day.

She also seems to enjoy cucumber and just munches so happily on them!!!

Shes also really good about eating her pellet, and reminds me to switch out her hay often... shes so particular, and i love that she seems to communicate so well already!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.