Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Multiple questions

mochi the pig

Cavy Slave
I felt bad about creating so many threads, so I decided to combine all of my questions into one thread!

• My guinea pig has a habit of peeing and pooping under the water bottle. This would be fine with me, but the bottle is a metal ball one, so it leaks a little. She's also quite chubby, so her back sometimes touches the spout of the bottle and water drips onto her. I'm concerned since it is the winter season, and though the room is kept at a steady 70 degrees, I worry that she'll get cold. I've tried moving the water bottle but she just gets confused and poops both under the water bottle and the space where the water bottle used to be. Any advice, or is this behavior ok?

• How do you feed Oxbow Natural Science Vitamin C Tablets? Do you give it to a guinea pig everyday? If this helps, I feed my guinea pig 4 leaves of romaine lettuce, a plain pellet food with dried veggies, and oxbow western Timothy Hay.

• Do you guys have any treat suggestions? I feed my cavy fruit as a treat, but I've been wanting to spice it up and make actual treats (biscuits, etc).

• I keep my cavy in my bedroom, and she gets limited time with my other family members, but I've been thinking about moving her to my living room. The problem is, my family is very loud. Should I make the move?

• My guinea pig likes pooping in one particular spot and the poop just piles up there. Is it bad for her to always be sitting in her own waste while making waste?

• Any toy/entertainment suggestions? My guinea pig is a lot like me and has a short attention span, so she gets bored of things easily. Currently, her cage only has a hay rack, a hanging water bottle, her hidey house, and her two bowls for food and water. There's a lot of empty space to spare.

• How long is the minimum time to interact with a guinea pig every day?

• I hear about people taking guinea pigs out for a walk or to go shopping. Is that good for them?

• What's the best mix of vegetables to feed a guinea pig? I only feed her romaine lettuce and the occasional fruit, so I'm trying to introduce new vegetables. She doesn't like tomatoes or carrots.

That might be all the questions! I'm very curious and thorough, so I'm sorry if these are too many questions!

pouty

Cavy Slave
In relation to the poop: How often are you spot cleaning? I pick up the poop and hay off the floor 1-2 times a day and do a full clean every 3-4 days. It's normal for them to poop where they eat/sleep. Just make sure it's not piling up and they'll be fine. :)

I've never heard of people taking guinea pigs out for walks and shopping.Leashes are dangerous. Also, they're very skittish animals and shouldn't be over stimulated like that. It must be so frightening for them. It takes them so long just to get used to their cage and you, imagine if they had to go out and be handled so much around so many peoples in an unfamiliar place.

mochi the pig

Cavy Slave
In relation to the poop: How often are you spot cleaning? I pick up the poop and hay off the floor 1-2 times a day and do a full clean every 3-4 days. It's normal for them to poop where they eat/sleep. Just make sure it's not piling up and they'll be fine. :)

I spot clean every night and I do a full clean every week (as she is a single pig, but I'm looking for another).

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
1) Lower the water bottle.

2) Hand the tablet to the pig. Romaine lettuce causes excess urinary calcium in some pigs, and can contribute to bladder stones. Other pigs are not bothered by it. But red or green leaf lettuce is a better choice.

3) The pigs won't prefer one treat over another.

4) They'll very quickly get used to the noise, and they'll be happier with more attention. Mine have lived with two rambunctious children and two barking dogs in the house and haven't batted an eye at the racket.

5) I've never had a guinea pig that played with a toy.

6) It's up to you.

7) NO, NO, NO, and a thousand times NO. They have very fragile backs which can be broken if they're on a leash and try to jerk away from you if they're startled. They're not social animals like kittens and puppies, and definitely don't want a bunch of strangers to touch and pet them. They''ll be much happier, and MUCH less stressed, if you just interact with them at home.

8) Here's some recommended reading for all new guinea pig owners. It's got a link to what you can feed them and how often:

https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/113176-Information-for-new-guinea-pig-owners
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/threads/107827-What-NOT-to-do-for-your-guinea-pigs!

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
The best way to prevent a pig from being bored is to have two pigs and plenty of space.

Also, I recommend feeding bell peppers. Pigs typically love them and they're high in vitamin C, especially the red ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CupcakeCavy

Cavy Slave
I would definitely get another pig as a companion. This is a complete necessity for pigs and only some exceptions apply. This is also the best way to keep them entertained.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.