Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Litter Training Whats on the Bottom of the Hay Room?

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
MissJean, why don't you like hay on your fleece? Just bugs you?

MissJean

Cavy Slave
MissJean, why don't you like hay on your fleece? Just bugs you?

My fleece is very cute,so why muck it up with hay? I rather it look vibrant and unblemished.

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Ah, gotcha. So you prefer a hayrack with carefresh underneath?

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I've been having great luck with wood pellets in my kitchen area as well. I don't think I would switch to anything else now, and I have tried several bedding options.

I have to add that I am a cloth diaper mom with 3 kids too, but only one in diapers at a time here lol

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I also should add (I remembered too late to edit lol) that I don't like hay on my fleece because it is harder to sweep off and the leftover bits get stuck in my front loader. That washer has seen a lot of grossness but the hay pushes me over the edge.

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
For those of you that do not use fleece in the kitchen, doesn't the hay/bedding track on to the fleece anyway? Thanks!

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
A few pieces do, but nothing that isn't easily picked off by hand. I just couldn't deal with the hay explosion in every corner lol. I have one kitchen in a loft and the other in just a coro box and both seem to contain the hay equally.

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Oh ok, thanks!

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
OMG! I just noticed my major typo in the thread title! "Hay the Room" instead of "The Hay Room" LOL! That is what I get for internetting with toddlers under foot!!!

Inlovewith

Cavy Slave
Here is a good one how often do u all wash ur liners, Fleece or towels.
I have two sets of each so as i wash once a week but i line dry as i have two sets and will just need one. This way i always have one rdy to go.

To stay with the Topic here i have Fleece all through my cage in my Kitchen I use use a old Pillow case makes sweeping up old hay easier no sticking like on fleece.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
OMG! I just noticed my major typo in the thread title! "Hay the Room" instead of "The Hay Room" LOL! That is what I get for internetting with toddlers under foot!!!

Maybe it proves that my kids have eaten my brain because I didn't notice that until you pointed it out :eek: I must speak toddlerease :D

KatiesCavies

Cavy Slave
Maybe it proves that my kids have eaten my brain because I didn't notice that until you pointed it out :eek: I must speak toddlerease :D

LOL!

Chritazy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I didn't notice either and toddler free tonight (yay for sleep!).

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
I didn't notice either and toddler free tonight (yay for sleep!).

Sleep? Could you define that for me? Spell it? Use it in a sentence or something so I can understand the meaning? :D

MissJean

Cavy Slave
Here is a good one how often do u all wash ur liners, Fleece or towels.
I have two sets of each so as i wash once a week but i line dry as i have two sets and will just need one. This way i always have one rdy to go.

To stay with the Topic here i have Fleece all through my cage in my Kitchen I use use a old Pillow case makes sweeping up old hay easier no sticking like on fleece.

I change my fleece once a week and wash it usually the same day. I don't like the soiled fleece sitting in a basket for too long.

I also have tidy mats, smaller pieces of fleece with an absorbent center, that get changed once they feel moist. These are placed in areas the pig's pee the most.

Piglicious

Cavy Slave
i use a 34qt sterilite with the locking handles removed and a large notch cut out of one long side so the pigs can get in but still keeps 95% of the bedding and hay off the fleece. the bedding i use in the tub is Equi Fresh...its like wood stove pellets but marketed for horse stalls and i find these absorb liquid faster then wood stove pellets...once every day i scoop out most of the pellets that have disintegrated into powder and put back more fresh pellets and it works great especially since the tub is where they relieve themselves the most since and makes it so i dont have to change the fleece so often.

i also use the lid of the tub...i put it over the hay rack on the lid of the cage and add weight in form of a rock to keep it from being moved because if i dont i have a cats who likes to both eat hay and dig all the hay out of the rack through the lid if the tub lid with rock isnt there.

Chritazy

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
@T_Licious LOL! I slept ALL night last night and woke up at 7:00 am. It was awesome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.