Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels Loft: Safe?

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
Hi, I'm in the middle of setting up my C&C cage. It has a second level (a loft) and something just came to me: if I set up a ramp for them to ascend to the loft, can't they easily jump out of the cage?

Loft: Safe? It'll look like this (this is not my cage, just a similar photo I found), except I do not have a grid covering half of the loft's front like this one. Tips/suggestions are appreciated.

Not if you don't have the grids. Guinea pigs usually have no interest in jumping unless its a male trying to get to a female. Even then they would scale the wall not jump. I have a loft and my boys have no interest in getting out. I made my loft removal so I have dowels holding it up. You'll also want the ramp to have tall sides so they feel safe going up.

Last edited:
Here's my cage

Loft: Safe?
Loft: Safe?

@Starthecavy123 WOW that is really smart! Thank you for posting pics :) I am going to use that idea when I do my loft for the boys ^_^

Hehe your welcome I'm flattered that I inspired someone. I'd be most pleased if you used it. :)

Thank you so much, I've fixed my cage up so there shouldn't be any problems :)

@Ash14 yes its coroplast I bought it from the guineapigcages store I made a few modifications when attaching it. Normally you would attach it to the coroplast loft base, it has a sticky tape thing on it. But instead I attached it to a grid with zip ties it was kind of tricky I hade to punch a few holes with a utility knife. Then I had to pull each tie through two holes so the grid could attach. Of course I had to attach it the hard way haha. I think all together it had like 10 zip ties as I only had 50lb ties.

Oh goodness that sounds confusing lol. I have a loft on my cage, I've just been looking for the best way to make a ramp. I'm failing. Haha.

Yea I'm terrible at explaining things.

I didn't really have a plan I just did it on a 'as you go' kind of deal.

Haha quite alright. Thanks!

People have come up with all sorts of homemade ramps, but I'm on the opinion that a well-constructed Coroplast ramp is the best.

I would recommend buying a ramp from the store associated with this site. If you are creative and have the time, then you may want to look at my post about Making a Reinforced Ramp - (broken link removed)
Thank you! I had lots of coroplast left over so I was trying to figure out a way to make it a ramp. How do you keep the sides up and how do you attach it to the loft? I'm sure you wrote that and I just didn't understand it haha sorry and thanks!

If you go here www.guineapigcagesstore.com you can find a ramp already made. When I got mine it was flat and all I had to do was bend the sides. The coroplast has some kind of wire threaded through it. It was a little tough so I just went slowly with it and after a few minutes the sides were up.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.