Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Cleaning a realllly dirty cage

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
I recently took in a rescue pig from a family that got her from a family who didn't want her. Long story short, she has been introduced to my current herd and has been accepted well and is now a member of the family living in my c & c cage. My cage is not the problem. The cage she came in is. I thought I would keep it as a quarantine cage. ( it was an idea anyway.) I have already tried to clean and am pretty sure it had not been cleaned in perhaps months. The corners were dried solid and I couldn't even tell what kind of bedding they had been using. I have got most of it cleaned but can't get the corners completely cleaned. I have tried both vinegar and a heavy duty cleaner and letting it soak. Does anyone have any other ideas?

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
Poor Piggy! It's a good thing she's loved now. What kind of a cage did she come in? My old cage got stained in the corners so I took some sharp scrubby thing (and vinegar) and worked at it for a while until it came off.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
I'd say let it soak with dawn dish soap, over night, then take a scraper if sorts and scrape it off.

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
Poor Piggy! It's a good thing she's loved now. What kind of a cage did she come in? My old cage got stained in the corners so I took some sharp scrubby thing (and vinegar) and worked at it for a while until it came off.

It is some sort of largish pet store cage with a plastic bottom. Not sure exactly what brand it is. Maybe I need a sharp scrubby thing:)

iluvguineapigs2

Cavy Slave
It is some sort of largish pet store cage with a plastic bottom. Not sure exactly what brand it is. Maybe I need a sharp scrubby thing:)

i think that's the same kind i had, though I think the thing I used was a metal scraper for cleaning a stovetop? lol at least i think...
it looks kind of like this
p303599b.jpg

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
If it's a plastic bottom is wouldn't use any metals on it. Except maybe an old butter knife to try to chip it away. Hard plastic bristles are the way to go. Otherwise, I'd let it soak with straight vinegar overnight. As bad as it sounds, I don't know if a bleach solution would be enough, and I WOULD NOT use straight bleach, as plastic is porous and could take it in.

I know it's gross, but could you post a picture of it? I clean for a living, and it might help to see it to get a better idea of what will and won't work.

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
If it's a plastic bottom is wouldn't use any metals on it. Except maybe an old butter knife to try to chip it away. Hard plastic bristles are the way to go. Otherwise, I'd let it soak with straight vinegar overnight. As bad as it sounds, I don't know if a bleach solution would be enough, and I WOULD NOT use straight bleach, as plastic is porous and could take it in.

I know it's gross, but could you post a picture of it? I clean for a living, and it might help to see it to get a better idea of what will and won't work.

I would love to except I'm on my iPad which doesn't let me upload pics for some reason. I will try in the next day or so to get my laptop and upload from there.

Coughingcolours

Cavy Slave
I would love to except I'm on my iPad which doesn't let me upload pics for some reason. I will try in the next day or so to get my laptop and upload from there.

No problem, did you try anything else on it yet?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Vinegar will work but you need to let it do its job. Soak it for a whole day in vinegar and it'll neutralize the uric acid and will be like brand new.

Tensonstar

Cavy Slave
bakeing soda, make into a past and scrub with a scrub part of a sponge. i clean almost everything that way.

missguineaginns

Cavy Slave
Vinegar will work but you need to let it do its job. Soak it for a whole day in vinegar and it'll neutralize the uric acid and will be like brand new.

Thank you! I will try that.

wells

Cavy Slave
Try CLR let it soak at the bottom a while should foam up like peroxide does. If used regularly it keeps it clean too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.