Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Adopting before they are killed

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I have been out of work since 2013, had major back surgery in February, I had a laminotomy in L3/4 and L4/5, disc shaved and spurs removed. Getting ready to start shots again, to get the pain to a mild level so I hope to be back at work by the end of the year. The nerves were crushed since 2008, so they haven't jumped back so fast for pain relief but the leg weakness and numbness is gone. I have a little vet money saved now.

The shelter by me has quite a few guinea pigs and they are a kill shelter. I have two females and two neutered males, the shelter has two, month old females I keep torturing myself over. I can feed them, care for them, a simple vet bill handle. Anything major, I could not, they would have to be put down or released to a shelter that could help them. But if they never have anything happen, they would have great care and be loved. Should I even bother or just let them get put down? I watch how many cats and small animals come and go on their site, it kills me. They have been there over two weeks now, so its now or never.

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That's so sad :( I understand that since money is tight, maybe you could adopt them and foster them?

SquigglyPigs

Cavy Slave
You might get varying opinions about this, but here's mine.
Since this is a kill shelter and they will be put down soon, my heart would tell me "go for it". If you can provide for them and give them a happy home, it would be much preferred than them being dead! I understand vet bills can be upsetting and I myself still have issues with it. Not sure if this is possible with your income, but I set up my bank account to have an automatic $30 transfer from my checking to my savings every month. This is my emergency fund. It's not much but it's money that I won't touch unless there is an emergency (and hopefully I will be able to put more in there once my student loans are paid off). Just an idea!
Do they really euthanize them after only two weeks? Must be a busy shelter.
I personally would adopt them. If worse comes to worse, you could always just be a temporary foster for them and then just be really picky about finding a home for them.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd get them. Whatever time they have with you will be longer than they'll have at that shelter, and they could live for years without serious vet bills. And if the time comes that you can't afford the care they need, maybe a rescue would take them and treat them.

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
I would go for it, too, for the reasons mentioned by the others. As an alternate, you could offer to foster them for the shelter (although I know if it were me, I'd end up keeping them anyway).

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
That's so sad :( I understand that since money is tight, maybe you could adopt them and foster them?

I thought about that, I also thought that maybe being put to sleep as babies before they even knew better might be more humane. I am so torn.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
You might get varying opinions about this, but here's mine.
Since this is a kill shelter and they will be put down soon, my heart would tell me "go for it". If you can provide for them and give them a happy home, it would be much preferred than them being dead! I understand vet bills can be upsetting and I myself still have issues with it. Not sure if this is possible with your income, but I set up my bank account to have an automatic $30 transfer from my checking to my savings every month. This is my emergency fund. It's not much but it's money that I won't touch unless there is an emergency (and hopefully I will be able to put more in there once my student loans are paid off). Just an idea!
Do they really euthanize them after only two weeks? Must be a busy shelter.
I personally would adopt them. If worse comes to worse, you could always just be a temporary foster for them and then just be really picky about finding a home for them.

I have the grids, coroplast and I can feed them hay, pellets and fresh veggies with no problems. I am not sure the time but they seem to go quickly. I think its like a month or two for the cats, I know we looked at one cat for a bit before it disappeared, like 15 cats went off the list(almost all black cats too).

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I'd adopt them, but then again if I lived near a high kill shelter... I'd be a hoarder. Luckily, most of our shelters are no-kill and the only kill shelter nearby is really well funded and pretty large. At the end of the day you are the one who has to live with the choice either way, so I guess it's whatever decision you can live with.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
I sent an email to the rescue I just got mine from their located in Harleysville pa not sure how far they will go but maybe they can refer another rescue I know there's one near Pittsburgh pa.there on the forum here their screen name is rarescue.

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
I would do it like everyone said, and if you down the road find that its to much you could adopt them out to people that will care for them and things. Also if the people who adopted them don't want them you could get them back and try again if worried about that type of situation. But it is up to you and how your life plays out. I am sorry that you are put in this position, i would be just as torn. Recently someone posted a huge amount of pigs on craigslist for the RAW MEAT diet for dogs, i was mortified!!! But i couldn't take in anymore so i emailed a bunch of people who rescue and hoped that they would help them. Its tough when people and rescues do these things. Stay strong, hope it works out.

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
Can't save them all, but you could certainly make a difference in the lives of these pigs. So, if you can provide basic housing and food, I say go for it. And then my advice is to stop checking the website of the shelter because none of us can save them all.

mdodge

Cavy Slave
Found out through the rescue I used that that area is covered by metro guinea pig rescue maybe you can contact them for help in getting them out .good luck.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
So I found out Ming Ming was not a baby, she was the mom of the babies, Payton was about 10-12 weeks old and they were there a few weeks before offering them. I asked what were the chances of either being pregnant and was told, none. I am guessing mom may have had the babies there, who knows. All are kept in store bough cages, the poor thing, all stacked on top of each other. I did get mom and daugther, I haven't decided on names yet. They are now in a corner of the living room, sadly in a 2x2 until they all are in the 3x6. They are on fleece and the baby sure likes it, she is popcorning all over. I had to cover two sides from the cats, the have a fleece drape hidie and two fiddle sticks logs. Ming Ming I would say is about 6-8 months and I did sex both of them but Ming's big nipples told me she was a girl for sure, that and not a sign of balls. I didn't get great shots of them because I didn't want to scare them too much.

Adopting before they are killedAdopting before they are killedAdopting before they are killedAdopting before they are killed

poop_patrol

Cavy Slave
You've done a good thing! Their lives are already better. Such cute girls. Don't know how anyone could give these girls away.

I rescued my pair from a humane society shelter. Not sure if it is a kill shelter, but they were there several weeks before I adopted. The shelter said they were brought in by a landlord who said he found them left behind after his tenants moved out. Not sure I understand how you can move out and simply leave your pets behind.

Last edited:

Lady Amelia

Cavy Slave
Such precious little ones! I can tell you, I'd have done the same thing. Let us know how things go. Sending you and the new girls love!

megakamattsmom

Cavy Slave
Congrats. God bless the least of us!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Congratulations to your and your new little ones. I had a feeling that we would see a post with tiny adorable pig faces from you soon. :)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
They are just so adorable! And I decided mom is snicker and the baby is doodle, corny I know.

BonnieJ

Cavy Slave
You've done a good thing! Their lives are already better. Such cute girls. Don't know how anyone could give these girls away.

I rescued my pair from a humane society shelter. Not sure if it is a kill shelter, but they were there several weeks before I adopted. The shelter said they were brought in by a landlord who said he found them left behind after his tenants moved out. Not sure I understand how you can move out and simply leave your pets behind.

This is how we got one of our cats. My husband went in the vacated apartment and found her with no food or water in the summer in Phoenix. She was starving in a hot apartment. People are awful

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.