Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Waaah! Whats going on?

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Ok, first off.. please don't rage about my cage.. Its cleaning night, ( Im a night person.. o_O) and just a few minutes ago, Mickey kept picking on Uchi, he wasn't mounting, he kept trying to follow uchi into his pigloo, (and he still is D:) and they keep chittering, I uploaded some videos from my phone, (2 of them, one is 4 mins, other is 30 seconds, 30 second one came first, i thought he stopped, but he started it up again,) Any help would be appreciated,

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Take the pigloo out. You don't want any hidey that has only one door. A pig always needs an escape hatch.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Even if i have 2?.. and ok~ Heres the videos by the way, was waiting on them to finish uploading
First one~
[video=youtube;T5Uk5IS9sC8]

2nd one

after i finished ( if you saw i took out what kept the other animals a distance away from them) Uchi jumped out of the cage and into my lap, i petted him for a while, and mickey went back to sitting in his pigloo,

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Update : They are leaving each other alone now.. Mickey is still in the pigloo... and uchi tipped his over o_O (lol?..)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Pigloos are the worst housing on the planet as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't have one on a bet. I think you should either cut another hole in both of them, or take them out and throw them away. Use an upside-down shoe box with holes cut in the ends, or a fleece forest, or a dollar-store step-stool -- anything that lets one pig get away from the other. Pigloos are just an invitation to conflict.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
@bpatters gotcha, they have been taken out, ill be cutting a hole in them soon o.o7 what would have caused this? anything i can try to prevent so this doesn't happen again?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't have any idea. But those pigloos take up a lot of room in that cage. I'd try fleece forests in the corners.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Gotcha, question, whats a fleece forest?

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
And also.. my edit thingy hates me, so im sorry for double posting >.< But apparently i wont be able to get my cc cage till around the end of the month, (said to be the 29th) because that's when my mother gets tuition, and i don't like keeping them in this cage, its a closet cage, in my room, i put them in there because my brother kept bothering them, and i wanted them to be in something bigger than that store bought cage...any suggestions? I don't have coro, or any grids.. i still have both parts to my store cage, i have a un used bed frame, its a twin wooden.. any ideas?

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
i can post a picture if needed c: All that's on it at the moment is a few baskets, and the top to my store cage ( the wire part ) turned upside down to hold stuffed animals (.. o.o don't ask why lol)

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Uhm, sorry if this is considered as 'necroing' old posts.. but I cut a opening in my pigloos, and got an idea o/

Here, the purple part is a part from my purple pigloo and I had an idea to use it as a pooper.. scooper ;) lol.. Waaah! Whats going on?
Waaah! Whats going on?These are the back opening, I cut them with scissors.. ( purple was the hardest for some reason..thicker because of color??) uchi tested them out for me, (hes the adventurous one so he loves to explore things, rather as mickey would just sit there lol) but yeah.. They seem to be fine with them now that there is 2 openings :D

pinky

Cavy Slave
I don't think the pigloos are your problem. I think it's the size of the area they temporarily have. Make sure you make your C&C large enough that they have a lot of room. I have two pigloos in each of my cages and they work great. I have no problems with my male or female pairs competing over the pigloos. I actually prefer them because they can be thoroughly washed to keep them sanitary. Where's their hay? They should have unlimited hay at all times. Guinea pigs are grazers so they need hay to chew on all the time. Once you make a large enough cage and have mounds of hay available for them, I doubt that you'll have any problems. They aren't really being aggressive. They just have nowhere to go.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
I don't think the pigloos are your problem. I think it's the size of the area they temporarily have. Make sure you make your C&C large enough that they have a lot of room. I have two pigloos in each of my cages and they work great. I have no problems with my male or female pairs competing over the pigloos. I actually prefer them because they can be thoroughly washed to keep them sanitary. Where's their hay? They should have unlimited hay at all times. Guinea pigs are grazers so they need hay to chew on all the time. Once you make a large enough cage and have mounds of hay available for them, I doubt that you'll have any problems. They aren't really being aggressive. They just have nowhere to go.

Yeah, this happened right before I started to clean their cage, they have plenty of hay now, and I know the living space is.. terrible ._. ill be honest, it sucks. but I have something planned, I cant get the cc cage till the end of the month, but to make due, im gonna go get 2 shower curtains ( hopefully it will be big enough to cover my twin bed lol) and some dog clips, then ill clip, and then they will have somewhere bigger, but thanks for replying ^^ means a lot :D

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
It definitely seems as space is the issue.

what would have caused this? anything i can try to prevent so this doesn't happen again?

How old are your boys? Usually, when males go through adolescence (Around 3-5 months), they tend to display more dominant behavior (Such as mounting, rumble-strutting, teeth chattering and lunging).

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
@MochaAndMoo Happy birthday to..my boyysss <3 They turned one today!

NakedPiggy

Cavy Slave
Sorry :p there you go! I just used pieces of closet shelving, but I sanded the cut edges down so they wouldn't cut her :eek:

Attachments

iPad August 5 2013 2256.jpg iPad August 5 2013 2260.jpg iPad August 5 2013 2261.jpg iPad August 5 2013 2262.jpg

NakedPiggy

Cavy Slave
Missed one, sorry :p

Attachments

iPad August 5 2013 2255.jpg

rolandinthehay

Cavy Slave
Just a note on the fleece forest idea:

I've heard it works well for many people, but when I tried replacing my pigloos with fleece forests, my pigs became even more aggressive with each other. Ben wouldn't let Roland even stick his head into the forest without charging at him. When I added the pigloos back, they were fine. I don't think it was the size of the forest either. It was 2 full grids in length! Plenty of room for two pigs to lay.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
It definitely seems as space is the issue.

How old are your boys? Usually, when males go through adolescence (Around 3-5 months), they tend to display more dominant behavior (Such as mounting, rumble-strutting, teeth chattering and lunging).

and yeah, I went through that.. my mom thought my boys were gay... ._.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.