Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Diet is it healthy for the cavies?

akanksha

Cavy Slave
i have bought this new pellet for my piggies. Please tell me if its good for them
(broken link removed)

Horrible food for a pig. You want a pure pellet food for them. No seeds, nuts, fruit bits; just pellets. Make sure it only has timothy hay if your pig is older than 6 months old. 6 months or younger you can feed alfalfa pellets. If you live in the UK, I know Burgess is a very good pellet brand for pigs.

(broken link removed)

No, it's not good for them. You need to either take it back or throw it out. There's not one ingredient in there that is recommended for guinea pigs. What you want is a plain pellet -- alfalfa if your pigs are less than six months old, timothy if they're older. No nuts, no seeds, no wheat, no soy, no colored bits.

You can also buy from their website. https://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/shop/guinea-pig.html

Might I add that I am SUPER jealous that you can buy from this company and us that live in the USA can not. I would love to buy my piggies that stuff. None of the companies over her offer this many varieties.

Another good website is SPH Supplies. I used to get all my Cavy Cuisine and timothy hay from them when I lived in the UK. One time, I ordered some medical supplies including Critical Care to stock up my piggy first aid box. They phoned me as soon as they'd received the order to let me know that the size I'd ordered was out of stock but immediately offered to ship multiple packets of a different size in case it was needed urgently. I didn't as I was just topping up my supplies, but I thought that was brilliant customer service.

i am not from uk and cant buy from this site..i live in india and found this one here in market..will try searching for the recommended ones..please suggest few more

You can also buy from their website. https://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/shop/guinea-pig.html

Might I add that I am SUPER jealous that you can buy from this company and us that live in the USA can not. I would love to buy my piggies that stuff. None of the companies over her offer this many varieties.

You're not missing much, my piggies won't touch the stuff, and Oxbow is way greener (Excel is completely brown/beige). American timothy hay is 100% nicer than our own (something even local producers acknowledge) and we never get second cuttings, because the weather is too.. British. Trust me, you guys have it way better! I think it's a genuine case of "the hay is always greener on the other side". Ha ha.

Also @akanksha, if you head on to Google Maps, and search "your local town or city + pet stores", it will bring up a list of nearby pet stores and their websites. You can then have a browse and if you find any pellets you can always post them here to see if they're any good. That's probably my best guess, I'm sorry I can't be further help.

You're not missing much, my piggies won't touch the stuff, and Oxbow is way greener (Excel is completely brown/beige). American timothy hay is 100% nicer than our own (something even local producers acknowledge) and we never get second cuttings, because the weather is too.. British. Trust me, you guys have it way better! I think it's a genuine case of "the hay is always greener on the other side". Ha ha.

I wouldn't be interested in the pellets... or should I say nuggets.... lol. Just the forages they have. I love my KMS for my piggies.
Thanks for the input. Hope the poster can find a wonderful pellet for their pig. I was always told Burgess was a pretty good pellet (from people who live in the UK). I always noticed it was a dark brown nugget and not the typical green pellet.

Ha, I am on about the forages- their hay varieties, that is. The pellets aren't too bad, but the hay/forages aren't that good IMO. :p

Please tell about this one too (broken link removed)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.