Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Fleece! But what about hair?

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
My mom says I can switch to fleece finally. But, I have to have almost no hair on it if I want to use the family washing machine. How do you get the hair off? I have been brushing it off with my little hand held broom but it isnt enough. Do those rubber brushes work very well? Any cheap ideas?

You could use lint brushes. They are at dollar stores.

Or a vacuum hose, that's what u use and it works fairly well. Although the lint roller is the biggest lifesaver ever.

I first vacuum the fleece and then I use a rubber brush, it gets a lot of hair off, but not all. I always do piggie laundry last so the washing machine can dry out and I vacuum it out before doing my laundry again.
You can try and stick all the piggie stuff in a washing bag (or maybe even a pillow casing) make sure it is tied close and wash it in that, it should keep the hair mostly contained to the bag.

I have a strong vacuum so I get most of it. I vacuum her fleece flippers daily so there is no build up of hair, dust, particles, etc. That helps.

This is bad but this is the only reason why I like not owning my own w/d.. :D

@spy9doc I have a hand mitt similar to that Fur-Be-Gone brush, I will try that. Im also going to go to the dollar tree and pick up like 8 lint rollers lol.
@SardonicSmile Yea, I get all the hair out of the washer with a wet washcloth.
@YourSoJelly I dont have enough money for one. I use the family one, but its pretty cruddy lol

@PiggieGuinea, mine is the deffinition of crappy! Go to a thrift tore, or get some cheapo vacuum with a hose.

I have a Shark, I can use that AFTER I sweep up poos because I broke the other one when it got clogged with poos Whoops. :p

@SardonicSmile - does vacuuming out the washing machine help with removing the left over hair? I used a handy vac, that was great at removing hair, but now it doesnt work very well and i find that i get a lot of hair all over my clothes. I am thinking about washing my fleece liners/cuddle cups/ potty pads in pillow cases to reduce the amount of hair in my washing machine.

Im going to get like 6 lint rollers and some candy at Dollar Tree.LOL. Or maybe 5 lint rollers and 3 canies :p

@SardonicSmile - does vacuuming out the washing machine help with removing the left over hair? I used a handy vac, that was great at removing hair, but now it doesnt work very well and i find that i get a lot of hair all over my clothes. I am thinking about washing my fleece liners/cuddle cups/ potty pads in pillow cases to reduce the amount of hair in my washing machine.

I vacuum the washing machine because running an empty cycle just to get hair out is a waste of water and electricity. Most hairs that I find on my clothes are my own, so it works for me. I do have a frontloader though, not sure if that makes a difference.
(Sometimes I wonder if I should put the pig laundry in the dryer before washing it, that should help get rid of more hair, because after the laundry there is still a lot of hair that gets trapped in the dryer's lint trap.)

I'll give the vacuuming a try. :D maybe it will help. I always air dry my liners, I find that it really helps with eliminating the wet piggy smell.

I highly recommend vacuums. They help so much with getting rid of hair, especially if you invest in a decent quality one that will last a long time.

(Sometimes I wonder if I should put the pig laundry in the dryer before washing it, that should help get rid of more hair, because after the laundry there is still a lot of hair that gets trapped in the dryer's lint trap.)

I have front-loaders too, and I read in the manual that putting dirty things in the dryer can cause grease spots to show up on your own clean clothes when you dry them. Just an FYI. :)

I highly recommend vacuums. They help so much with getting rid of hair, especially if you invest in a decent quality one that will last a long time.

I have front-loaders too, and I read in the manual that putting dirty things in the dryer can cause grease spots to show up on your own clean clothes when you dry them. Just an FYI. :)

No prewash drying then! :)

I got 3 50 sheet lint rollers, 2 1/8 cup scoops, and 4 chocolate bars for 9 bucks :D I will be set for a few weeks. Once I clean out Lulu and Loopsie I want to reintroduce Flower to Loopsie and Lulu because she hasn't been teeth chattering and has been out playing with them for floor time everyday. Then I can use the petstore cage for temporary housing for the boy(s) babies. Then have 1 cage on fleece forever hopefully and one on bedding for 7-8 weeks until the boys can go to their homes. Super excited to get the "herd" together again.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.