Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece Wick Test(Still no results after the 5th wash)

BamRamsey

Cavy Slave
I've seen that people do the wick test after every wash and dry and that was what I was doing. Well I just finished the 5th go around and the water still isn't absorbing through it(just when it gets directly poured onto unless that is the goal)
I'm at a loss and saw that dish soap could help, or that I should let the piggies use it. I would RUIN my washer if I used dish soap in there, and I am NOT risking another vet trip if the pigs get a UTI from using fleece that hasn't passed the wick test.
Knew I should of gotten camping fleece again, cage cleaning day is Wednesday so I need to know what to do stat. I have no money at all to buy fleece again.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You could try washing it with vinegar on the hottest setting you have, also pause the machine after it has filled up and let it sit for an hour or two as soaking sometimes also does the trick.

BamRamsey

Cavy Slave
I will ask my dad if I can stop the washer once it's filled. As for vinegar it would have to be in the tub since our washer uses a special soap and idk if vinegar will mess with it or not.

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
Just curious, why do you think using a couple squirts of dish soap will ruin your washing machine? What kind of washing machine do you have?

BamRamsey

Cavy Slave
Just curious, why do you think using a couple squirts of dish soap will ruin your washing machine? What kind of washing machine do you have?

Omg I was told this last night but forgot what brand it is. All I know is that it requires special soap when we got it we couldn't finish our container of soap. I'll look it up x.x

cavy_love25

Cavy Slave
I'm willing to bet you have an HE washer, if that is the case, vinegar is fine.

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
I'm new to the fleece and have an HE washer myself. Do you pour directly into the tub? That's what I've been doing but didn't know if there was a "better" way. I'm actually new to having my own washer/dryer in general.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Plug your tub up and fill it with a few squirts of blue dawn and hot water, soak the fleece in the, swishing it around a bunch. rinse and follow up in the wash with vinegar wash and dry. Also check both sides for wicking.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
ps, I have used a few small squirts of dawn to wash my fleece in a he machine and I mean small squirts and no laundry soap.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
If the water is going through when it is poured on, that is the goal. that is it wicking through.

Cate and Lila

Cavy Gazer
If the water is going through when it is poured on, that is the goal. that is it wicking through.
I have read every description possible about fleece - even looking up fleece to use in diapers and every thread here. Why is my fleece still sopping wet? I have now purchased 3 different types of fleece (anti pill 100% polyester which i have now washed 10 times, microfleece and a thinner version of the first) and nothing is working! I am wasting so much water...
Water pools on top and only passes through if I lean hard onto it but then the fleece still stays wet all day. I'm just so confused because so many people make it sound so easy. Some of the fleece I got is even the same I see folks have sewn into pee pads online, so I know if works for them. I have even boiled water to add to the wash or soak in case the water wasn't hot enough. What is it about dawn that helps? If I only have a natural dish detergent, would that help? Where do folks get their fleece if not from Joann's?
Thank you!!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
What are you using under the fleece? I never had fleece stay wet except in the corners where they all went all the time.

Cate and Lila

Cavy Gazer

lissie

Cavy Slave
What detergent are you using to wash your fleece? The point of washing multiple times before using is to strip the chemical that is used during production. If your detergent is not strong enough, it might not remove whatever is coating the fleece.

Cate and Lila

Cavy Gazer
What detergent are you using to wash your fleece? The point of washing multiple times before using is to strip the chemical that is used during production. If your detergent is not strong enough, it might not remove whatever is coating the fleece.

I use biokleen free & clear powder detergent. Do you think I need something else? Recommendations? My girls and I have sensitive skin so need something that will work for us too.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I use Biokleen too, but the liquid stuff. I never had any problem with the fleece not wicking after washing it in hot water. I put a capful of Biokleen non-chlorine bleach powder in the wash and vinegar in the rinse.

Try washing it in hot water with vinegar and washing soda both in the wash cycle, perhaps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.