Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What are some good toys for a guinea pig (safe to eat)?

Number1Sticky

Cavy Slave
I've tried getting some plastic cats toys, but he's scared of them. I'll given him toilet paper tubes, but he eats them? Is it ok for him to eat cardboard? He eats EVERYTHING I give him. So I'm looking to make some good toys for him that either he can't eat or it's not bad for him to eat.

Thanks for any help!!!

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Eating a little from those toilet (clean of course) paper tubes is fine, and won't hurt him...eating a lot of cardboard is certainly not good though. Half the time they "chew" it up but don't actually swallow it. How much does he seem to be eating ?

Here are some safe toy options from our home page, for you to click out.
Guinea Pig Toys and Play

Tunnels are a really big hit with most piggies, and I have made some home made cardboard ones too. Another favourite is Fleece Forests. They love big piles of soft grass hay to run through. Paper bags. Shredded plain paper.

Providing enough space in their cage for running laps, optimizing what you do have by making sure to put their pigloos, wooden hidey's or cozies ect towards the middle of their home so they have room to "run around" all the objects in their home for fun and great exercise.

Last edited:

CupcakesMom

Cavy Slave
Eating a little from those toilet (clean of course) paper tubes is fine, and won't hurt him...eating a lot of cardboard is certainly not good though. Half the time they "chew" it up but don't actually swallow it. How much does he seem to be eating ?

Here are some safe toy options from our home page, for you to click out.
Guinea Pig Toys and Play

Tunnels are a really big hit with most piggies, and I have made some home made cardboard ones too. Another favourite is Fleece Forests. They love big piles of soft grass hay to run through. Paper bags. Shredded plain paper.

Providing enough space in their cage for running laps, optimizing what you do have by making sure to put their pigloos, wooden hidey's or cozies ect towards the middle of their home so they have room to "run around" all the objects in their home for fun and great exercise.

Wow so many ideas. I never would have thought of something as simple as a paper bag or paper. Thanks. I bookmarked it. :)

Pretty Piggies

Cavy Slave
I'm afraid mine would just eat the hay and paper! lol

kirsty91

Cavy Slave
Yeah and another great idea for floor time is to take any cardboard boxes and tape them together! We use waffle boxes, soda boxes all kinds and cut out holes and make ramps. Mine loves to go through all of it, plus with all the holes I always know where she is haha. I got one of the cat toys that has a ball in it.

Number1Sticky

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Now I will have some idea for when Christmas comes. :)

thevultureslove

Cavy Slave
Mine like little terra cotta flower pots tipped sideways to sit in. Whenever they're out of the cage I'd put some of those and they would crawl in them and sit for a while. Sometimes I put hay through the hole at the bottom so they could rip it out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.