Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Very young and possibly pregnant

LexiandLily

Cavy Slave
Hi - we've got a 10 week old little girl, Lily, we've had her for 4 weeks and weigh her weekly as per advice on here, this week she's gained 55g which we thought was a bit excessive and last night when we had her on our lap and just stroking her we noticed her stomach seemed a bit lumpy, very much like she had a sack on each side of her.
Immediately we started to panic, she's so young and small I don't want her to go through that, we've rang the Vet this morning to take her in after work.
I can't really say I've noticed any other signs though, she's maybe a little aggressive to her sister, they always seem to be fighting - not bad enough for us to have to separate them, just every now and again when Lexi gets too close to Lily when she's eating or something, they squeal at each other, rear up a little then go their separate ways. Lily has been drinking quite a bit, but the water bottle doesn't go down that much, she just seems to spend a lot of time at it.
She doesn't seem angry when we pick her up, and just this week she was more than happy for us to stroke her belly, she wasn't keen last night but didn't get angry or anything, just moved away.
Are we taking too much notice to the shape of her belly and unnecessarily worrying ourselves?
Thanks
Laura

take a top-down view of Lily and post a picture here. it's safer to take a picture that way for pregnant piggies which shouldn't be handled too much :) guinea pigs can start reproducing at 4 weeks old.

also you might want to check out Lexi to make sure she IS a girl!

Yea well it's a funny story because when we first got them both we thought Lexi was pregnant, Lily was trying to have a go on the back of her, it only happened one night and I was in 2 minds about Lily being a girl so we got them both out and checked, and then checked again, and then the next night checked AGAIN lol. We got them from a friend of a friend who ended up with an unexpected litter, he had the brothers and sisters in together at 6 weeks, which is a bad idea - I did tell him to separate them after I took the 2 girls home and it's been at the back of my mind since.
I'll take a photo as soon as I get in from work. thanks.

Is Lexi the same age as Lily? If so, are they gaining at the same rate?

I don't know that the vet can do anything unless you want to have her spayed while she's pregnant. The diet for a pregnant sow is the same as for a young pig, so if you're feeding her appropriately for her age, she's getting what she needs for the pregnancy. What is her diet like?

Since she's only ten weeks she could just be getting her piggy shape. But it's always possible.
But a picture might help.

We've been to the vet, needed her ears checked anyway, he said he wouldn't like to say 100% but HHS doesn't think he can feel anything other than fat and poo, time will tell I suppose.
Yea Lexi is from the same litter, the total weight gain is actually on par with each other, but Lily just had a slow start and then 55g in one week.
It was mainly the lumps that freaked me out, compared to Lexi it just feels odd. I think the thought of her being with her brothers still at 6 weeks has just taken over my worry thoughts.
She eats plenty, and drinks lots. They get 2 bowls of veg a day, mixture of all sorts, pellets, and unlimited Timothy hay. They get treats of chick weed, radish leaves and beet root leaves from my aunties allotment. They don't seem fussed on fruit at all, it's always just left, apart from melon.

Here's a pigture, she doesn't look too bad actually, but then again she could be only 3 weeks which might not show anything yet. I'm not convinced anymore, think I've just been paranoid

Attachments

image.jpg
Hello :)

My pregnant teddy is also still very young and about to give birth, she is now almost 5 months old, she got pregnant when she was about 3 months and she's fine and healthy, so don't worry :)

The two sacs you feel dont mean she's pregnant though, i don't know what it is, but my sisters teddy also has those and she also thought she's pregnant, then she went to the vet, got x-rayed and she wasn't pregnant, so i guess its the bladder or a very full tummy you feel.

Thanks, we are just going to keep an eye on her over the next few weeks. I think she just really likes her food haha

Both my pregnant piggies just got their babies without a problem and all are healthy :) And they're just 5 months old now - so you really don't have to worry, just make sure to give them a variety of food everyday.

I gave mine daily hay, a corn mix with dried fruit and lots of vitamins, 2x times romana salad or red rosso salad, but not too much and 1x pepper because great vitamin c supply and they just love to it. :)

Hope to see pictures of your babies! Mine can be seen now in my thread.

I gave mine daily hay, a corn mix with dried fruit and lots of vitamins, 2x times romana salad or red rosso salad, but not too much and 1x pepper because great vitamin c supply and they just love to it. :)

Corn and dried fruit are not very good for guinea pigs. Full of un-needed sugar. Don't you have access to a good quality plain pellet food?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.