Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fighting Help!

Chubs3256

Cavy Slave
Hello, about 2 months ago I got my guinea pig, chubs, he is perfect. I read online that they do better in pairs/groups so I decided to get him a friend. I kept them separated and he was doing well at first but today he attacked the new comer and sent him flying cross the room. The new one is just a baby and is not used to being alone all the time. Do you think that he should have a guinea pig with him in his cage? I don't want him to become depressed because he has never been alone before.

If blood has been drawn, you need to separate them. Regardless of how you think the new pigs will feel, it's for their own safety

Did you introduce them in neutral territory and not in a cage? If you did that, then moved them into a cage, how big is your cage. A small cage could be the problem. A 2x4 C&C cage is recommended for 2 pigs but with boars, this can be too small.

2x4 is fine for most pigs. These scraps are sometimes necessary to get out of the way. Like @LithiumRiot said, if blood is drawn they will never be friends.

No blood was drawn, I did introduce them in a neutral space and everything seemed fine. But then he just attacked.

No blood was drawn, I did introduce them in a neutral space and everything seemed fine. But then he just attacked.

Just keep with it then and supervise them very closely.
These scraps are sometimes necessary, as long as nobody gets hurt :)

If they are fighting, don't panic - just throw a towel over them and it'll confuse them, you can then pick them up.

I'd suggest doing a buddy bath then. That often helps when there is aggression with introductions.

Still, how big is your cage? Just wanna know so there's no dominance issues when you put them together. Also, do you have two of everything? At least three hideys? Two water bottles? Two food bowls, ect. That's also to reduce dominance issues.

The cage is a 2x5 c&c cage. So should I keep the separated? If so for how long?

I'd suggest doing a buddy bath then. That often helps when there is aggression with introductions.

Still, how big is your cage? Just wanna know so there's no dominance issues when you put them together. Also, do you have two of everything? At least three hideys? Two water bottles? Two food bowls, ect. That's also to reduce dominance issues.

Buddy bath, joint laptime and some supervised floortime helps too.
Give them some tasty veggies together so they get used to eating with each other :)

The cage is a 2x5 c&c cage. So should I keep the separated? If so for how long?

After the buddy bath and maybe some laptime together, If all goes well. Put them together in a fresh clean cage together. Multiple introductions and separations can stress the pigs out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.