Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Aggression Normal dominance, or bullying?

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
Guys you know that I had Rhino, and when he was 3 years old got him a little brother named Yoda who was 3 weeks old. Rhino basically raised him after that since he was weaned from his mother. They were best friends from the get-go. best brothers you ever saw. Rhino passed away last month. Yoda just turned 6 months old this month. Yoda was lonely and depressed without Rhino so I knew I had to get him a buddy. A vet tech at my vet clinic was fostering a little piggie, Chirpa, who is 3 months old now. I adopted him thursday. He's what I've always wanted, an "albino" abby (he's actually a light gray with red eyes, not white).

I introduced them on thursday, as chirpa has already been in quarantine at his foster home.

They've been together since and seemed to be getting along ok, they were displaying what i had read as being dominance behavior and puberty.

But recently i've noticed that Chirpa will not leave yoda alone. its constant harassment. even when yoda is just minding his own business and trying to rest!

Could it be the cage size, you might ask. My cage is over 8ft long by 2ft wide making it over 16sq. ft but I round down to 16 for ease of explaining. It's not the cage size from what I understand.

Have I tried a buddy bath, you might ask. I can't. They're both on revolution for lice treatment/prevention and their last dose is the 25th I cant really bathe them until 2 weeks after the 25th.

I don't know what to do. maybe i'm overreacting and extremely hormonal right now, but Chirpa will not leave my poor Yoda alone!

Which just makes me feel even worse that I lost Yoda's big brother Rhino. they really loved each other.

Do you think it's normal?
will it lessen when chirpa gets a little older?
what do i do?
Do i leave them together or throw up a divider in the cage (they'd both then have 8sq. ft. each)?
if you think i should separate them can/should i reintroduce them when chirpa gets older?

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I think it's totally normal. It's only been a few days and clearly Chirpa is trying to be boss pig. Yoda and his brother are a lot alike. The biggest wusses ever. S'mores is the biggest cry baby submissive pig ever. XD

Is Chirpa biting or just chasing and trying to hump him? Unless blood is drawn or Yoda stops eating I would leave it.

I know how hard it can be. When ever Jipsy goes into heat she harasses Ellie almost non stop for like 2 days. It stresses me out every time and I always wonder if it's a good thing to have the trio after all but when Jipsy isn't in heat they all snuggle and get along really well.

I would just give it more time.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
i think he's nipping, he's had some yoda hair in his mouth. he's chasing and humping too. it bothers me the most when yoda is trying to sleep and chirpa comes up and humps him, then yoda tries to get away and chirpa just chases and humps him, and he's even tried cornering poor yoda.

Yoda used to go up and try humping rhino but rhino would protest and if yoda didn't stop he'd whack yoda with his front feet or just leave to the other side of the cage and ignore him. Rhino was so tolerant and sweet. Which is why i'm really just hoping it's a normal age thing, Yoda has seemed to have calmed down a lot since he was 3 months.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
I remember Rhino doint that when we introduced them. It was adorable. <3

Considering Rhino was an adult and now one pig is in the middle of puberty and it sounds like the other might be starting really young it's not a surprise that they are arguing. I think that given some time they should settle down. Chocolate humps S'mores like crazy but never bits. S'mores sounds like Chocolate is killing him but he is not being hurt in anyway. So keep an eye to make sure he isn't actually getting bitten (drawing blood and not just hair) and try not to worry too much about the humping unless it reaches the point where Yoda isn't allowed to eat or drink. Their sleep cycles are so short that he may well be getting more rest then you realize. Obviously not as much as he wants to be but it might not be as bad as it seems.

piggiepigpigs75

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem with my two pigs frank and norbert who are brothers and together their whole life. Leave them alone unless blood or injuries occur. It is normal for boars to fight over dominance and such.

HannibalLecter

Cavy Slave
I would wait a bit longer, as long as Yoda isn't losing weight from not being able to eat enough. I know it's hard to watch & not interfere.
Pubescent boys can certainly be horrible at times. Good thing it only lasts for a few more months, and not 6 years. ;)

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
Haha oh good point @HannibalLecter

Thanks guys. I'm hoping they'll work it out. Today has been kind of rough. watching them like this has made me really miss Rhino and how sweet he was. It's just been a rough day. constant tears. It's weird that it just keeps hitting me like this. I wonder if i get annoying, like if my family is thinking i need to get over it. I have a long grieving process i think.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
How do I know if it's no longer normal? How long does it take for them to work out dominance? What if they're still constantly doing this in a week?

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
Can anyone tell me when it's no longer normal? They're still really picking at each other this morning. I covered the cage with a blanket last night to calm them down so that I could sleep. It seemed to work. I did get some sleep. Someone chirped last night for a while which was so interesting to hear. I wasn't able to see who it was since the cage was covered. Sounded just like a bird.

At any rate I mean.... if this is still going on the whole week what do I do?

They've been together since Thursday night its now Monday morning. sometimes they'll be calm next to each other but I feel like most of the time they're chasing each other around the cage. usually with Chirpa chasing Yoda.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It takes as long as it takes. Depends on the pigs. So long as there's not full-out fighting, or one pig is not being harassed to the point that it can't eat, let them alone. They'll figure it out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.