Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Does anyone know what this is? It was in my guinea pig's cage...

Jessica Kilty

Cavy Gazer
I put a baby carrot next to it for you to get an idea of size. The blood is unrelated...that is from her getting nipped by my other guinea pig (which they are now separated). I've also noticed she isn't eating like she normally does. She has an appetite, but is acting strange. She eats soft food okay, but seems to take tiny bites of hard foods...

20160429_081507-1.jpg20160429_081312.jpg20160429_081323-1.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No clue.

About her eating... Is she drooling? Dropping food when she tries to pick it up? How old is she?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Could she have been pregnant and had a miscarriage?

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
It almost looks like a bean or seed

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
It almost looks like a bean or seed
Years ago i miscarried but before that in the pregnancy I passed huge clots that looked like that all the time. I use to have to take them to the hospital to see if it was the baby at one point.

clarkkatarina

Cavy Slave
Looks like miscarriage to me, from the similar photos I've found on the internet. I'd be making sure her friend there that nipped her isn't a male because unless you just got her recently and already in that condition, she may have likely gotten pregnant from her pal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Jessica Kilty

Cavy Gazer
Thanks for the replies! So I took her to the vet Friday afternoon. Also brought along the 'object'. My vet was really surprised by it. She said the only thing she could think of was an aborted fetus. However, I'm positive our other two piggies are girls since we've had those two for 4 months now and per the vet, we definitely would have seen pregnancy before now if one of the other two were boys (that and the previous owner never had any pregnancies and they were raised together, etc). I looked again after our vet visit when I got home with Bubbles, and the other two are girls. That said, the vet was unsure what it could be. She said the only other thing she could think of was a tumor. She dissected it and did a couple smears and was going to do some testing.

As far as the decreased eating, etc, it turns out she broke one of her top front teeth. :( I had thought she had been nipped because I had noticed a little blood by her mouth. However, it turns out that (and the blood on the fleece) was from the broken tooth. It broke right by the gum. So she's on Critical Care, antibiotics, pain medication, and medication to keep her GI tract moving along. She's not a fan of taking any of this, but is tolerating it. lol :) Yesterday she seemed to be feeling a little better and was eating kale. However today she wouldn't touch anything but a little bit of grass...and that she struggled with because of the tooth. I even tried using a cheese grater to shred down some apple since she loves apples...no luck. She's still getting the Critical Care but I'm adjusting that based on how much other food she's eating.

We would appreciate any prayers. I'm still worried about her. Just nerves I guess. I love her SO much! Oh, and a side note...she turned 3 in October. We've had her since she was 3 months old...

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Let us know what the results are from the testing. She will be okay with the tooth, as long as she keeps having her medication :) Her tooth will grow back in no time at all and she will be back eating by herself.

jkilty

Cavy Slave
Let us know what the results are from the testing. She will be okay with the tooth, as long as she keeps having her medication :) Her tooth will grow back in no time at all and she will be back eating by herself.

Thanks so much! How long does it usually take before they start eating normal again?

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
When the tooth is long enough for her to be able to pick things up and tear off bits. You may have luck hand feeding her long matchstick pieces of veg before she can eat on her own. I would guess no longer than 1-2 weeks. One of my Guinea pigs fell face first on the floor from a chair and broke both of his top teeth at the gum line. They were removed and grew back in 1 and a half weeks. And right now my other pig has one top tooth cut halfway. He however is unaffected by this and can eat normally as it's a clean cut.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

jkilty

Cavy Slave
When the tooth is long enough for her to be able to pick things up and tear off bits. You may have luck hand feeding her long matchstick pieces of veg before she can eat on her own. I would guess no longer than 1-2 weeks. One of my Guinea pigs fell face first on the floor from a chair and broke both of his top teeth at the gum line. They were removed and grew back in 1 and a half weeks. And right now my other pig has one top tooth cut halfway. He however is unaffected by this and can eat normally as it's a clean cut.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Oh wow...what a fall. Glad he's okay! We think her tooth broke from an argument with one of our other piggies. I tried feeding her slivers of apples and no luck. She acts like she wants it but won't open her mouth for it. She also doesn't want to drink. Did yours do that too?

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
Thanks :) Have you tried feeding any other veggie? Try some grass if you can. Apples, while tasty, have a lot of sugar in them and guinea pigs can't process too much sugar. Mine wasn't like yours, he ate what I hand fed him almost immediately. As long as they get the food to their molars they can eat it. My pig didn't have any blood come out of his mouth though, unlike yours. Maybe she needs to heal the wound a bit before trying to eat veg? Oh I just read your other post saying she was eating some grass and kale and now stopped? Just keep up the meds and critical care and keep trying to hand feed. Hopefully you'll get more advice soon

jkilty

Cavy Slave
I only tried apples because she loves them so much that it was a desperate attempt. She rarely gets them. Thanks for the advice! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.