Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Tumor The Vet Found a Tumor

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Today as I took all 6 piggies to the vet for their health check ups I found some rather shocking news.
Jack my sweet boy has a very small tumor on his left *cough* manly bit. The vet recommended that we neuter him. I weighted my options guys I'm not taking this lightly and decided to go ahead and schedule the surgery. Please don't flame me because this was a very hard decision!
I'm trying to get everything ready but I'm having trouble finding information online.
What do I need to do post surgery wise.
Does he need to be separated from his cage mates? If so can I place a divider in the cage so he isn't over stressed.
Anything I need to look for?
Do I feed him before the surgery?
Anything I should ask my vet? (He is an exotic vet, has done many guinea pig surgeries)

What I know from my questions to the vet:
The vet is going to do a blood test, use gas anesthesia, give him something for pain (Buprenex injection 15ml), the surgery will be done in a very sterile room, give me meds. to bring home for pain (Meloxidyl 10ml), another blood test to make sure he didn't become anemic, and monitor him for 6 hours before he can even come home.

Last edited:

MeggMegg

Cavy Slave
I don't have any tips, just wanted to say sorry you and your piggy are going through this, and good luck!

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
No one will flame you for doing a necessary surgery for the health of your pig!

A neuter is a pretty straight forward surgery for an experienced exotic vet.

I've never had a pig neutered so I can only offer some general post surgical advice.

Yes he will need to be separated from his cage mates in a small cage so he can heal. If your cage has enough room to just put a divider in that would be best. A 1x2 grid section would be fine for right after surgery.

Check his incision sites daily for redness, irritation and infection. Obviously keep him on very clean bedding.

Yes he can be fed right up until the surgery. Guinea pigs can not vomit so there is no need to fast them.

Goodluck, I'm sure your guy will be just fine!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
For postop care, see https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html. Be sure to keep his cage VERY clean during the postop period.

Yes, he needs to be kept from your other pigs for his own sake so he won't stretch/tear the incision, but it will by far the best if you can put a divider in the cage and have him in a small area at the end. Bear in mind, you WILL have to do reintroductions when you get ready to put them back together, but maybe it won't be as bad as if you had to separate him altogether.

Do feed him up until a couple of hours before the surgery. I'd hold off on the veggies for several hours beforehand, but let him have hay and pellets.

Good luck to him and to you. Fingers and paws crossed here that he comes through with flying colors.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I recently had our boy neutered as we have all girls and didn't want no hanky panky. His surgery was very straightforward. After care at home was very easy. Kept him in a very small 2x2 cage so he could rest. I also purchased some cheap white terry cloth rags to put in his pigloo and to change out every few hours so that was I could help keep him extra clean and also watch for bleeding. He was eating normally within a few hours and didn't have any bleeding or trouble

The biggest thing is to keep him clean and as quiet as possible for about a week.

Good luck! I am sure your boy will do great. We will keep happy thoughts for him.

Comely Guineas

Cavy Slave
You should ask the vet all the questions you asked here. Good luck

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I had my boar, Ferb, neutered 2 years ago. He did fine and never even seemed to notice anything was missing! Make sure the vet prescribes antibiotics and pain medication afterwards, also you piggie will need a post op check up about a week after his surgery. Good luck!

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for all the advice, stories of your experiences, and well wishes. Me and Jackie appreciates them. I went to the store and got some white fleece and plan to use this with white towels and puppy pads under the fleece. Is that ok? I also ordered oxbow critical care (banana/apple flavored), bene-bac probiotic for guinea pigs, a digital kitchen weight, and a feeding pet safe syringe(just in case). I plan on putting a divider on the L shaped part of their c&c and will definitely be reintroducing them when he gets the ok...he is in with my 2 spayed girls Snow-Bell and BabyGirl so I don't think reintroducing them will be a problem afterwards.
His surgery is scheduled for February 2 and I will update all of you after that.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Even if you don't anticipate any problems with reintroductions, do them anyway. You'd be surprised what a few days apart can do, even if they're housed in a cage with just a grid divider between them.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Even if you don't anticipate any problems with reintroductions, do them anyway. You'd be surprised what a few days apart can do, even if they're housed in a cage with just a grid divider between them.
I will thank you. I plan to reintroduce them in their play pin in a different place than I usually put their playpen and deep clean the cage!

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Jackie's Update:
Jackie went to the vet at 8:30am this morning. At 5:30pm we got a call telling us that he did wonderfully and he was ready to come home. Apparently Jackie didn't get the memo that he was supposed to be groggy because he was up and adam as soon as he got in the car and I gave him some kale (his favorite veggie). We brought him to his section of part of the cage where I had placed white towels, white fleece in his bed area, small bowl of pellets, hay in the corner, a shallow water bowl, and a water bottle. While he explored I grabbed some carrot slices and one oxbow with carrots treat and he gobbled all that up. Poor baby was hungry he is now eating some timothy hay. I haven't seen him drink water yet or seen any poops. He also freezes now and wont take a treat from me...this is not like him. He always wants a petting or a kiss on the nose. I'm probably being silly but I feel as if I damaged his trust in me now. :( I'll keep an eye on his water bowl and bottle and his fleece. How long should i wait to inform the vet? Or should I try the bene-bac before?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You didn't damage his trust in you. He's had anesthesia and pain medication. Nothing about his responses is normal.

What do you mean, how long should you wait to inform the vet? Inform him about what?

And he should get bene-bac 60-90 minutes after every dose of antibiotic he gets. Also, give him the antibiotic with food.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
You didn't damage his trust in you. He's had anesthesia and pain medication. Nothing about his responses is normal.

What do you mean, how long should you wait to inform the vet? Inform him about what?

And he should get bene-bac 60-90 minutes after every dose of antibiotic he gets. Also, give him the antibiotic with food.
Oops i ment about him not pooping...how long before I should worry that he's impacted
and he still hasn't drank anything... how long before I need to force water him

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Get some unflavored pedialyte (the generic stuff will do) and offer it to him in a syringe. Most pigs love it, and will happily take it when offered.

You don't need to worry about him being impacted for a while, at least not until tomorrow afternoon. Just keep him in a clean cage so you can tell when he starts pooping.

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Get some unflavored pedialyte (the generic stuff will do) and offer it to him in a syringe. Most pigs love it, and will happily take it when offered.

You don't need to worry about him being impacted for a while, at least not until tomorrow afternoon. Just keep him in a clean cage so you can tell when he starts pooping.
I will thank you ... your amazing bpatters... thank you for always answering my questions!

StephsFurries

Cavy Slave
Well we're back to the vet again since Jackie ripped his stitches on the left side. its a very small tare but I's rather be safe than sorry. Wish us luck.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.