Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi guys; help would be appreciated

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
I know this is definitely not the place to post this but I have no one else to refer to; I have a debate at school tomorrow and my topic is "Free Wifi should NOT be on Public Transport"; and I really need a reason for it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Piggly12

Cavy Slave
• It distracts people - they could be too busy doing their emails/surfing the net that they miss their stop - they would then have to transfer trains/buses to go back a stop going the other way, or they would have to walk (which could make them late)

• It would cost the Public Transport Authorities lots of money to install wireless routers + pay for the internet - you could maybe research the number of trains/buses there are, how much each wifi router would cost, and see what the rough total cost would be

• It would encourage people to go and sit on a train/bus purely to access the internet - this would clog up the buses/trains and mean that there might not be space for the people who ACTUALLY need to go somewhere

That’s all I can think of at the moment, but I’m sure others will have ideas.

P.S. For next time, I think that the place to post this would have been in the CAFE forum on this site.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
• It distracts people - they could be too busy doing their emails/surfing the net that they miss their stop - they would then have to transfer trains/buses to go back a stop going the other way, or they would have to walk (which could make them late)

• It would cost the Public Transport Authorities lots of money to install wireless routers + pay for the internet - you could maybe research the number of trains/buses there are, how much each wifi router would cost, and see what the rough total cost would be

• It would encourage people to go and sit on a train/bus purely to access the internet - this would clog up the buses/trains and mean that there might not be space for the people who ACTUALLY need to go somewhere

That’s all I can think of at the moment, but I’m sure others will have ideas.

P.S. For next time, I think that the place to post this would have been in the CAFE forum on this site.

Thank you so much; I was panicking without a reason; and I'll be sure to post it in the CAFE forum [emoji847]

Soecara

Cavy Slave
Also there would be security risks as with any other public wifi spot, which uninformed commuters might not be aware of. There are lots of websites on the public wifi security issue if you want to read more about it.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@just8be8free, please do NOT make multiple posts on the same topic. Most people who read the forums read all the new posts, and will see your question. I've deleted the others.

just8be8free

Cavy Slave
@just8be8free, please do NOT make multiple posts on the same topic. Most people who read the forums read all the new posts, and will see your question. I've deleted the others.

Sorry I didn't realise I'd done that

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.