Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy Updates on new cage and bigger herd! And Questions!

• Thread starter CallieLovesPigs
  • Start date

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Hello all!
So, as some of you may know, I am expanding my 2x6 with a 2x2 loft to a 3x6 with a 2x2 L-shaped expansion. I will also be keeping the 2x2 loft and possibly adding another 1x2 loft.
So, I am slowly getting the supplies I need. I am stocking up on large fleece pieces, lots of towels, and I have bought the shower curtains, etc.
The whole cost for the add on is about $60 so I'm happy it's pretty cheap. :)
Also, I might be getting 2-3 new pigs. This is just a possibility.
Pigs are sort of uncommon in the rescues in my area.
I want sows, and I want them to be between 1-3 years old.
I have my eyes on a couple, but they're about an hour away and I don't know if I want to go that far.
But, I will just have to keep my eye out for some at my local rescue, and wait for some cuties to come along. :)
I won't probably do the entire renovation for another month or so, because I need to get everything in order.
I have to clean out my closet and everything, and just plan everything.
I also probably wan't be able to do the introduction and the new cage on the same day, because I will probably finish the cage before pigs come along.
So I also have some questions about more pigs and my new cage...
-What is a good amount of water bottles, hay racks, and food bowls for about 4 sows?
-Since I won't be able to introduce in the new cage, how big should the area be? And everything is new right, like the fleece and hideys?
-If I get my pigs from a rescue, will I have to quarantine them? If so, how long?
-If the pigs just end up not getting along, should I re-home them?
-How much extra money a month will it cost
If anyone has a 3x6 will you please share pictures? I need ideas aha!
Thanks in advance guys! :D

ThePigpigpigs

Cavy Slave
A good amount of water bottles would be about 2-3, for food bowls, maybe 2-3 and 2 large hay racks should be good.
For introductions a bathroom would work well or a space equivalent to a 2x4 c&c cage.
If your rescue gives the pigs a vet check-up then you would not have to quarantine them.
If they don't get along, it's your choice if you want to re-home them. Would you have enough space to keep them?
I hope this helps, unfortunately I'm not sure how much extra it would cost.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
Rehoming the piggies would be up to you. You could always split the cage into 2 3x3's with a loft, which is enough room for 2 sows in each section. And I don't think you would have to buy all new fleece and fleece hideys, as long as you wash them all first.

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Thanks! I'm not entirely sure that I'll have room. If they don't get along, I'll probably rehome them.

5 littlepiggies

Cavy Slave
I have two 4 month old sowa with two 1yr to 2 yr old sows and they get along well. It will take a little time for them to sort out the herd dnamics but as long as long as there is no blood shedd they figure it out. There is the acasonal ruble struting but no teeth chatering or anything more drastic. Good luck,Korey

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I know you said you've had trouble locating pigs, but it may be an idea to wait for an already bonded group to come in to the rescue?

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@Princess_Piggie Yeah, I was thinking of waiting for an already bonded pair or trio. I figured if one is getting bullied, she will always have a friend to go to. Is this an OK thought?
@5 littlepiggies Thanks! So, do you think age doesn't matter? I'm worried about my older girls bullying a younger sow if she came in.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
Having a trio doesn't necessarily mean one will always have a friend. It could equally mean one would be ganged up on by the other two, it all depends on the group dynamic really!

In addition to that, older pigs tend to take on mamma roles with younger pigs quite easily, it helps with the hierarchy if one is significantly older :)

CallieLovesPigs

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
@Princess_Piggie That's good! I'm glad to hear that. I will now also keep my eyes out for baby pigs. Thanks! :)

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Slave
No problem! Hope a suitable pig floats your way soon :)

Hehe, just pictured a guinea pig floating through the air. Not flying or anything, just floating along...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.