Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Cleaning

JessicaSayzRawr

Cavy Slave
Okkayy So I have 2 2x3 cages. that I use like pine bedding in. Any ideas How I could clean it?
Also I am going away. I am leaving tomorrow morning. and won't be home till monday mid day probably. what should I do? I think I am going to move them into there smaller cages only because I am scared they may escape from there C&C cages or something may happen to them. So I am putting them in the smaller cages for my comfort.

will someone else be caring for them while you're away? what makes you afraid they will escape?

I just started using C&C cages mine aren't ziptied. I am just worried. and Im going to feed them when I leave..I don't have any one to feed them while I am gone.

I just started using C&C cages mine aren't ziptied. I am just worried. and Im going to feed them when I leave..I don't have any one to feed them while I am gone.

Are they connected with connectors? They can't escape, Zip-Ties or Connectors.

Yes they are connected with connectors. I am just scared they may escape. I need to figure out how to clean the cages before I go on my trip.D:

Yes they are connected with connectors. I am just scared they may escape. I need to figure out how to clean the cages before I go on my trip.D:

1: They won't escape.

2: You clean the cage by scooping out the bedding, wiping down the CoroPlast with a VERY mild soap, and put in fresh bedding.

Edited by bpatters: Do NOT use soap on the coroplast. A half vinegar, half water solution will do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
i would use diluted vinegar. no soap.

Thank you sl and s

Line your cage with newspaper before you add the bedding. It will be easier to clean. Who will be feeding them while you're gone?

Sorry! I did not mean to mention soap! I don't use it for my cage. I don't know what I was thinking.

My sister and her boyfriend are staying at my house and okkayy thanks. I didn't know til just now after I was talked to like I was retarded for not knowing.. Thanks to some one on this post.

Line your cage with newspaper before you add the bedding. It will be easier to clean. Who will be feeding them while you're gone?
Newspaper is gross. It will just disintegrate and you have to handle the pulpy mess. Yuck.

ive never had a problem with newspaper.

Actually, I use newspaper, too, and I haven't had a problem. I lift the fleece up, pull out the damp newspaper, and slide new newspaper in. If it's soaking, you're leaving it too long. Of course, I deliver newspapers so I can have extra money to spoil my fur-kids, so I have an unlimited supply.

Newspaper is gross. It will just disintegrate and you have to handle the pulpy mess. Yuck.

I never use newspapers under fleece but I do use it under pine or Carefresh. The difference is that fleece wicks into the absorbent layer and the newspapers end up being soaked. If you put a good layer of regular bedding over a few layers of newspapers, the integrity of the paper holds up and you can easily lift it out. The key is to not wait to change the bedding until it's saturated with urine. I've done this for many years before I switched to fleece and it has never disintegrated. Putting newspapers under non-fleece bedding might even be a good way to tell if you're putting enough bedding in and if you're changing it often enough. The real benefit to lining the cage is that it's super easy to clean and the bedding never sticks in the areas where they go to the bathroom most.

I just use double sided premium terry cloth under fleece.

I prefer uhaul pads under fleece because they're so lightweight but any 100% cotton layer will work such as towels or mattress pads.

I have always used puppy pads, but it really depends if you have a guinea pig who likes to chew.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.