Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Eye issue??

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
Thursday night when I came home, Ally had a little milky substance in her left eye. I looked on guinea lynx and it seemed to be normal. Friday morning her eye was fine so I didn't worry about it. Friday evening her eye was all squinted shut. I thought maybe she got some hay in there and kept watch on it. It hasn't gotten any better and I'm wondering if any of you have seen this before? I'm including a picture of her right eye so you can see how her eyes look normally as compared to her left eye which is a bit squinty and maybe swollen and now a little cloudy..
Eye issue??Eye issue??

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd get her to the vet. Eye injuries are very painful.

You can very gently pull the eyelids up/down and see if there's a piece of hay stuck in her eye.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
I'm a little worried, my vet can't get me in until Wednesday! She doesn't seem to be in pain, she's hopping all over, not hiding, eating fine, comes up to me when I walk in. But she will only look at me with her "good" eye.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can try washing it with artificial tears. Gently squirt the liquid toward the inner corner of the eye, not the other way around.

On the other hand, if you think she's really in pain, eyes are the one thing about a guinea pig that a non-exotic vet can usually treat. Eyes are eyes are eyes, and there's nothing unique about them as far as guinea pigs are concerned. You just have to be careful that the vet doesn't give your pig one of the antibiotics that's dangerous for them.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I will try the artificial tears.

speedskating

Cavy Slave
Thursday night when I came home, Ally had a little milky substance in her left eye. I looked on guinea lynx and it seemed to be normal. Friday morning her eye was fine so I didn't worry about it. Friday evening her eye was all squinted shut. I thought maybe she got some hay in there and kept watch on it. It hasn't gotten any better and I'm wondering if any of you have seen this before? I'm including a picture of her right eye so you can see how her eyes look normally as compared to her left eye which is a bit squinty and maybe swollen and now a little cloudy..
View attachment 79512View attachment 79513

The same happened a few months ago to one of my guinea pigs. We took her to the vet and she got some eye cream. About a week after that we changed our guinea pigs from carefresh to fleece. It completely stopped the issue. What happened to your piggy is probably either an eye poke or some sort of allergy. You should go see your vet.

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
Hard to tell from the pic but randomly about a month ago my 3 year old healthy boy suddenly had one very cloudy eye. I took him to the vet and he had uveitis, which could stem from an injury or an underlying issue. I have no idea how he got it but we treated it with a cream and antibiotics and it cleared up without complications in a week or so. He was squinting that eye a bunch so maybe that's what your baby has.

FionaMae

Cavy Slave
She had a bit of hay in there poor girl. The vet got it out and we have drops for her eye. ♡♡

lisa325

Cavy Slave
Awww poor lil' Ally, she's so cute!! Thankfully it's something relatively easy to fix, she should be back to normal in no time. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.