Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Which design should I go with???

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
New here! And although Giacomo seems happy in his big rabbit cage (it's like a 1x3 cage), I'll know he'll be happier in a C&C cage lol

Well, my basic design would be a 2x3 grid cage, but I have been thinking of other design. I like some opinions about those designs, so I can get the materials for those additional designs.

1. Kitchen loft (1x2), perhaps? Which design should I go with???
2. Lower level kitchen (2x2) area?Which design should I go with???
3. A large kitchen loft (a 2x2 loft)?Which design should I go with???

By the way, all of them have a 2x3 size. My apartment wouldn't really accommodate a larger floor size :sad: perhaps one day… perhaps one day...

lissie

Cavy Slave
Nice designs. I like the one with the lower level kitchen.

Are you planning to get him a friend? Guinea pigs will be much happier with a friend.
Guinea Pigs Social Life

If you can't go lengthwise, can you make a 3x3? Can you move your furniture around?

I used to live in a 700 sq.ft., one bedroom apartment with my husband and 2 kids. I've turned it into a 3 bedroom and have always been able to squeeze in a cage that's bigger than 2x6 in that tiny space. The one in the floor plan below is 8ft long.

Which design should I go with???

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
I'm sure Giacomo will like a friend, but I really first want to get him a bigger cage (one step at a time). There is one perfect space... but it's near large heat-sucking windows and winter is coming!!! It would've been a perfect spot… :sad:

I thought about adopting a friend, but I don't know if I'll have the space for quarantine/large space to slowly introduce them; plus if they start fighting and never get along, I don't know if I'll have space for two separate cages for two boys; or even neutering Giacomo and getting him a girlfriend; etc. For now, first priority is getting Giacomo a bigger cage lol then I'll figure out how to get him a buddy safely.

Thanks for the advice though :eek:

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
I would go with the lower kitchen loft because it gives him more running room without the ramp interfering. Another option (that I'm looking at right now) is a 2x2 upper loft but with an overhang so that their isn't the difficulty cleaning under the 2x2 loft (1/2 of it extends past the cage). Good luck!

N

Nibbs

I agree with @SeeSpotSit sounds like a good idea with the overhang. Except i have tried the lower loft idea it didnt work with none of my pigs they never went upstairs to run around.

T_Licious

Cavy Slave
Would the lower kitchen area ramp be too steep?

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
Hm, thanks for all the advice! Keep them coming!

I do like the overhang idea, I just don't know if I'll have the space to go length-wise... but I do have an idea. As soon I finish work, I'll design a new cage on Google Sketch and post that one here.

Also for the "lower kitchen area," does anyone else have success with that, or should I abandon that idea? OH WAIT! What about veggies on the top level and hay at the bottom with bedding? Hm...

Also @T_Licious, I have no idea if the ramp is steep... :p I guess I could make it turn around the corner if Giacomo found it too steep.

Also, for ramp traction, I like carpet but Giacomo likes to nibble on that... any ideas? I thought of bent grids with plywood that has notches in it, but obviously I'm just a newbie :p

CourtArtanis

Cavy Slave
Hm, thanks for all the advice! Keep them coming!

I do like the overhang idea, I just don't know if I'll have the space to go length-wise... but I do have an idea. As soon I finish work, I'll design a new cage on Google Sketch and post that one here.

Also for the "lower kitchen area," does anyone else have success with that, or should I abandon that idea? OH WAIT! What about veggies on the top level and hay at the bottom with bedding? Hm...

Also @T_Licious , I have no idea if the ramp is steep... :p I guess I could make it turn around the corner if Giacomo found it too steep.

Also, for ramp traction, I like carpet but Giacomo likes to nibble on that... any ideas? I thought of bent grids with plywood that has notches in it, but obviously I'm just a newbie :p

It should be fine, they can be sceptical though. IT depends what the ramp will be made of and if it has enough grip.

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
How about this design?

4. Overhang kitchen loftWhich design should I go with???

I don't know if my roommate will like how it sticks out, but seems manageable.

lissie

Cavy Slave
If it's sticking out like that, you could probably have it out in an L-shape on the same level too.

How about 3x3?

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
I haven't thought of an L-shape… back to google sketch!!

First, gotta see if roomie is okay with a 3x3, since it does stick a little too much out of the living room. Same with the overhang, although it'll be neat to see Giacomo peeking over while he's eating at an easier height level for us people. He sure does love his fresh food :)

ih8rttea

Cavy Slave
Here's a simple 2x3 L-design.

5. Same level 1x1 kitchen area Which design should I go with???

Still sticks out, but on the same level. As soon as I found out what my roomie thinks, I'll build a 3x3 as soon as possible

(I think I may be enjoying Google sketch too much)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.